my specs:
3.0ghz p4 with 800mhz fsb
ecs pt800ce-a mobo
512mb pc2100 ddr ram
geforce 6600 gt 128mb (agp version)
onboard sound
a few 7200rpm hard drives and a dvdrw
windows xp sp2

In 3dmark05 i get a score of 2322, which is in the bottom 5% of all 270 comparable systems.

After these results I checked out how my computer fares in Performance Test 6.1, and heres how it went:
http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=perfresqx7.gif

Its a big image, but the main points are that my cpu mark, memory mark, disk mark and 2d gfx mark scores are massively lower than comparable systems. Overall passmark ratings for those systems are more than twice mine. But the real painful one is that my system even gets beaten by a toshiba laptop with a 1.5ghz mobile pentium!

It used to run pretty well; about average for its specs. But for some reason, without making any serious hardware changes other than adding on a hard drive, it now runs awful.

What should I try to do to fix it? I'm close to calling it a lost cause and just getting a new cpu/mobo/ram, but I would like to avoid spending money before I exhaust all of my options.

The sad part is that the one thing that seems to be working pretty well, the video card, would likely have to be replaced because its agp.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
you could try wiping the hardrives, or (less drastic) you could use programs that clear out old drivers and fix the windows registry

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I'll give you all the usual advice which is check you have latest bios, drivers, no spyware or antivirus running in the background, check your power supply.

If I am going to be honest with you your system is very dated by todays standards. But to save you some money as you said you didnt want to do a full upgrade I'll recommend some options.

First buy some more ram. 512mb doesnt run xp smoothly anymore. Either get another 512mb stick or buy 1gb of dual channel 3200ddr. This will give you a nice increase and probably solve most of your problems.

Secondly format and reinstall windows. It doesnt take as long as people make it out to. Do a full format not a quick one. Then when xp is reinstalled download ALL the MS updates. Just keep checking for them untill there are none left. Then install all the latest drivers. Use a program like pc wizard to find all your specs. Dont install pointless programs on your pc. Only install things you need. If a program has the option to run at startup turn it off. Then when you have finished with all of this run defrag.

Doing these things will solve all your problems in one go. The only problem will be the limit of the system itself.

bwaage

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
I've already done all the usual stuff.. I reinstalled windows just a little over a month ago (the slowness was there before and after) and all my drivers, bios and everything are up to date.

And yes, I realize I dont have a lot of ram and that my system is really outdated. I generally dont mind, since the most ill do with it is play a little bf2 or world of warcraft, but even those things are basically unplayable now.

I'm not looking for superb performance here, I just want it to perform like a system with these specs should.

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
hmm, you never specified what kind of psu you have installed. That MAY be a factor contributing into your slow performance. Defraging your hard drive(s) can also help. However if it were up to me, i'd put a fresh format of xp on.
And the extra 1gb of ram would be pleasent none the less.

dihydroman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
Maybe you should clean the dust off of your cpu cooler. You can use an ice pick or a sand blaster for optimum results.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
LOL.

OK - why are you surprised that you scores as in the bottom 5%? It's completely understandable: you have no system memory, crappy memory speed and "a few" drives will be causing quite a bit of overhead.

Let's address:

1) Add more system RAM. Preferably chuck out your old ram and install 2 x 1GB sticks of the fastest RAM that your Mobo accepts. If it can handle DDR400 (PC3200) then install that. If it's a dual channel board, make sure you install the sticks in the correct locations. Failing to do so will result in halving the memory bandwidth.

1GB is acceptable for XP, but not very good. 512 MB is simply stupid: XP will be disk thrashing the entgire time, with a massive page file. 2GB means XP runs nicely in all conditions.

2) PC2100 (DDR266) is, let's face it, the sort of memory installed in Noah's Ark. In single channel mode it will supply only 2.1GB/s of bandwidth, which is pathetic compared to even old-school DDR400 in dual channel mode (6.4GB/s).

So the memory speed is a huge bottleneck in your system.

3) "A few 7200 rpm drives" is also a poor idea. I bet you have a bunch of crappy old disks in there. I'm guessing at least 1 80GB drive from 2001, a 120 GB drive from 2003 and something really scabby, like a Quantum Fireball at 40GB from 1998...

You need to understand that old hard drives suck donkey testicles: size = speed. Small size = crappy speed.

You are always MUCH better off to install a single massive drive for your system, and have a slow old pig for backup.