GeForce 9800 GTX

Seraphic

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Hi,

I'm building a new computer and was looking at the 8800 GTX, however, after looking around Google, I found the below forum talking about the 9800 GTX.

Are those specs accurate? It looks like it will 2x as powerful as the best 8800 GTX for the same price. I guess it would be better to get a low end 8800 GTS now, sell in a few months, then upgrade to a 9800 GTX, right?

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showpost.php?p=3459901&postcount=1

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
What sucks is waiting for the next "latest and greatest" and the date slips ahead ALL the time. Wouldn't be surprised if the 9800 comes out late NEXT summer or the following Xmas. Look at the gaming that is going on the consoles, that looks like the development target for some time. Enjoy the crap out of what is available now, should last 2 years.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

"Of course, this all may seem too rosy, but as far as the board design things are progressing nicely. And GPU-wise, there are signs of problems with silicon that might have to be sorted with new spin, which could delay the release of the product. Users can only hope that NVIDIA will fix all the issues on hand before they release the card."

Buy what you want now, These small delays tend to work themselves into lengthy ones. Nvidia has no reason to release a new card as long as they have the performance lead then soon after ATI comes out with their new card they are ready to trump them. And by the way there is nothing low-end about a 8800GTS.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I can think of only one reason why Nvidia would do that, to crush ATI/AMD into submission.

vonhell

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
with all the "leaked specs" of the 9800... it's kinda probable, that at least one of them turns out to be true ;) powerball/lotto anyone ? :D

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
well, both companies will also want to say "our high end cards can max out crysis" since that is going to be THE game to max for a while (no one denies that the graphics are awesome and only a few say that the gameplay will suck)

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I'll be surprised if it really does give more than 2x the gaming performance of an 8800 ultra, as the article says. This chip and the next few generations will only really just be an enhanced G80.
The G80 was a brand new architecture. Nvidia won't be doing a whole new architecure again for a few years yet.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Probably a refresh, I have noticed 8800s going UP in price lately.

Gawd, if you get a refresh, kick yourself fiercely in the butt, you just waited 3 months for pretty much nothing and lost all that use of your card you COULD have had.

If it is all new, gaming won't be able to use it for a LONG time from the looks of it, all the Dev is dumbed down for the Console folks, and now PCs are moving way ahead of the consoles.

I'd only worry about this stuff when the megatexture days start (when games NEED an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray or multiple DVDs), grab a GTS 640 and don't look ahead. 3 months of boredom and watching ads on TV in the evening ain't worth a 3-5% gain in FPS, IMO.

eternallydead

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
The main thing worth actually waiting for is a sale like black friday (which I am waiting for). And the second is waiting for the price to drop after a month or two so you aren't paying more just to get something brand new.

Personally I think waiting for black friday is the wisest thing to do. Stores have really great deals, HDs will be about $40 each and all other parts are cheaper), Monitors will be really cheap after rebate, november is when Crysis coming out anyways, the x38 chipset is supposed to be out by then, they may have PCIe 2.0 too.

The G92 might be a refresh making 8700 GTS, but I am curious how it would handled on PCIe 2.0 vs the 8800GTS on the PCIe 1.0

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

The 8800 GTX was the first card released which used more bandwidth the the AGP bus had available so PCI-E 1 or 2 doesn't really matter because there won't be cards available for another 4 or 5 years which use up all PCI-E 1 has. All their doing is staying ahead of the cards, they don't want to run into a wall where the card can process more information than the bus can handle. That's why there have been SATA II slots and drives available for a few years but the Raptor still uses SATA I, because it can't move data faster than that.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
The big bottleneck is FSB now, not PCI-e.
Never mind, I read somewhere Intel are finally working on getting rid of FSB (like AMD did ages ago) and will be coming out with processors with memory-controllers on board and a hyperbus or whatever in like a year or something.

TRENDING THREADS