I have a Dell Inspiron notebook with Windows XP Home Edition SP3. I've installed the K-Lite Codec Pack through the Administrator account and this plays 3GP files from my mobile phone, no problem. I'm using Windows Media Player 9.
However, when I log in with another - non-Administrator level account - I cannot play the very same 3GP files anymore! The video shows the first frame of the video but just seems to 'pause' there, while the audio continues!
I looked around some of the other forums/solutions (hey, I'm desperate!) but no one really seems to have a full solution.
I can't figure out what the cause could be; is it Windows account security (permissions), K-Lite not installing for 'all' users, WMP9 struggling under a different user account or something completely different?
I would appreciate any comments/help on this puzzling problem...
You should be able to solve it this way:
1) Log in as administrator
2) Open an Explorer window and go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> uncheck "Use simple file sharing". (this will enable the Securuty tab in the file/folder properties)
3) Right-click on the file, or better yet, the folder where you store all your video files.
4) In the right-click menu click on Properties
5) Go to the Security tab and click on Advanced.
6) Go to the Owner tab and change the owner to the Administrators group. Also enable the checkbox "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". Press OK.
7) Back in the Security tab, select the Users group. Set Full Control to Allow. Press OK.
8) Done! Now permissions are set properly and normal users can access the files again.