Sign in with
Your question

Can't detect speakers

Last response: in Windows Vista
December 17, 2010 9:26:01 PM

The other day I was replacing a video card in my brother's computer, since his old one went out. Everything went along smoothly and I began to update the driver for the card. While it was going, Windows decided to update the service pack with an auto restart command at the end up of the update. The service pack update finished first and began to restart, asking me to close down all applications. I canceled the shutdown to finish the driver update I was doing and restarted after that finished.

Later my windows updater says that my service pack update failed and then I didn't have any audio drivers installed. After a great deal of frustration from attempting to fix my sound I just decided on a system recovery (I'm using an HP Pavilion 6000). I reformat the system to factory settings. I have audio drivers now, but it's four "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" and it won't detect my speakers.

I've been looking around everywhere I can for some way to fix this. I'm using integrated sound. I've done all the major vista updates. I have two sets of speakers and I've tried them both. I've installed the realtek vista driver (I can't open the realtek audio manager though). I've tried using headphones. In my sound options I've made sure to "show disabled devices". I have no idea where to go from here.

I feel like I've tried everything, please tell me there's a solution out there...

[update]: I just updated my graphics driver (I had yet to do so since the reformat) and now I have the "No Audio Output Device is installed" appearing over the sound control icon. >.> I just did a restart and I'm back to my original problem. 4 HDMI playback devices, but no speakers...

More about : detect speakers

December 21, 2010 1:41:25 AM

I actually managed to fix my own problem. In the BIOS my onboard sound was set to "auto", I just set it to "enabled" and everything works now. I'm not sure why the auto setting wasn't... automatically detecting anything, but I'm definitely happy to get the sound working! :D 
m
l
March 7, 2012 2:44:56 AM

silofive said:
I actually managed to fix my own problem. In the BIOS my onboard sound was set to "auto", I just set it to "enabled" and everything works now. I'm not sure why the auto setting wasn't... automatically detecting anything, but I'm definitely happy to get the sound working! :D 

Silofive! im going through the same problem for about a week now and still cant get how to fix, can u explain step by step for me? thanks!
m
l
!