Sign in with
Your question

Rig Advice...is this good for gaming??

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2007 5:34:13 PM

ok i want a rig that can play Crysis, Call Of Duty 4, Medal Of honor Aiborne, etc basically the next gen games.

Case: Antec P180

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R

Video Card: BFG 8800GTX OC2

RAM: Cosair Dominator DDR2 1066

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake 120 Ultra

HD: Seagate Baracuda 320GB 7200RPM

Optical Drive: Lite-On DVD Drive

Sound Card: Creative Xfi Xtreme Gamer

Network Card: Killer NIC

PSU: PC P&C SIlencer Quad 750W

Mouse: G5 Gaming mouse

Questions:

1. should i get EVGA instead? i got BFG because i heard they have a warrenty of some kind for overcloking
2.Do i need DDR2 1066 or DDR2 800 i got 1066 becasue i heard its faster in games. also should i stay with the Cosair Or Crucial Ballistx? the DDR2 800 version of the Cosair Dominator has a Cas latency of 3 and has low timings..will that help speed?
3.is the PSU good?
4.Oh and im not sure if i should get the p180 or the 900 from Antec?
5. should i get the Tuniq Tower instead? is it any better?
6. should i get a RaptorX 150GB and a Segate 320GB?

thats it for now thanks for reading and any help you guys got it can REALLY HELP! thanks again my budget is nothing over $2,100 thanks again :D 

More about : rig advice good gaming

August 18, 2007 7:01:12 PM

DDR2 800 is fine , i have 4gb OCZ REAPER RAM 4-4-4-15 and its very nice ,lower latency is important in OCing , for BFG vs EVGA , BOTH are good ,
the PSU will be fine ,
August 18, 2007 7:27:58 PM

- PSU is overkill. High quality 550W or even a 620W to be really safe are fine.

- Why not use an onboard Net?

- I would go with Crucial but you can pick any brand that you prefer.

- Hard drive = Consider and WD that ends in AASK. Those drives are blazing fast and get amazing reviews from all over. My opinion is that Raptors are a waste of cash considering what today’s gamer’s needs (performance doesn't justify the price) but some may disagree.

- Both coolers perform the same, if you want better get a TT 120 Extreme with good 120mm fan.

- Some claim that crysis will run better on 64Bit OS's but I (no one but Crytek personnel really) can not guaranty it.

Rest of the system is solid. Hope this helps, have fun with it.

PS: Consider GTS 320 if you have a smaller screen, GTX would be a waste then.
Related resources
August 18, 2007 7:59:44 PM

thnx for help,,,heres the Corsair i was lookin at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and heres the Crucial http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and i heard the Killer NIC network card improves game speed by bypassing window stuff that makes the ping higher.

and i got the 750 W PSU casue this is a future proof comp so i can upgrade to the 45nm CPU when it comes out and a 9800GTX and future upgrades i kept in mind when i was picking componets. i might get EVGA only beacause its step up program. casue it would be nice to switch out my 8800GTX with the 9800GTX when it comes out, but i dont want 64 bit caseu i dont plan on getting 4GB RAM quite just yet..thnx for the suggestions..IM OPEN FOR MORE TOO ;)  PS: can someone help me with a good gaming case that has good airflow and fits the 8800GTX thnx
August 18, 2007 8:25:02 PM

xela said:
- PSU is overkill. High quality 550W or even a 620W to be really safe are fine.

- Why not use an onboard Net?

- I would go with Crucial but you can pick any brand that you prefer.

- Hard drive = Consider and WD that ends in AASK. Those drives are blazing fast and get amazing reviews from all over. My opinion is that Raptors are a waste of cash considering what today’s gamer’s needs (performance doesn't justify the price) but some may disagree.

- Both coolers perform the same, if you want better get a TT 120 Extreme with good 120mm fan.

- Some claim that crysis will run better on 64Bit OS's but I (no one but Crytek personnel really) can not guaranty it.

Rest of the system is solid. Hope this helps, have fun with it.

PS: Consider GTS 320 if you have a smaller screen, GTX would be a waste then.

Crytek confirmed in an interview that it will run better under 64-Bit OS and that it will be programmed to support 4 cores.
August 18, 2007 8:32:48 PM

so any of you got anymore suggestions?
August 18, 2007 8:55:00 PM

Questions:

1. should i get EVGA instead? i got BFG because i heard they have a warrenty of some kind for overcloking
2.Do i need DDR2 1066 or DDR2 800 i got 1066 becasue i heard its faster in games. also should i stay with the Cosair Or Crucial Ballistx? the DDR2 800 version of the Cosair Dominator has a Cas latency of 3 and has low timings..will that help speed?
3.is the PSU good?
4.Oh and im not sure if i should get the p180 or the 900 from Antec?
5. should i get the Tuniq Tower instead? is it any better?
6. should i get a RaptorX 150GB and a Segate 320GB?

1.) eVGA has the best warranty and I like them better, but BFG is also pretty good. My personal pick would be eVGA.

2.) Unless you're overclocking you won't see any real gain (maybe 1-2% performance at most) from running on DDR2 533 memory or DDR2 1066 in games.

3.) That PSU is great, however it's overkill for what you're doing unless you're planning to drop in a second GTX later on (Which doesn't seem case) otherwise you'd be just fine with a Corsair 520HX.

4.) I like both, but if you don't mind noise then I'd get the Antec 900 for sure.

5.) I like the Tuniq better. I would get the Tuniq for myself, but that's just me.

6.) There's really no point for you to get a Raptor (Especially a Raptor X), the only people to whom I'd ever recommend a raptor are people who really need the marginal speed increase, like video/photo editors and the such. You will only see faster loading times, faster windows boot up, and probably apps would open a tad faster (By faster I mean just a few seconds).

August 18, 2007 9:51:18 PM

emp said:
Crytek confirmed in an interview that it will run better under 64-Bit OS and that it will be programmed to support 4 cores.

That would be great :) 
I am ordering a Q6600 + Vista 64 in a day or two.
I don't follow info on Crysis as I am only planning to play the SP part, I do follow UT3 and while they have already promised a better run with Quad and flawless gaming preformance under 8800 series.. nothing was ever said about the 64bit OS's on the other hand :( 

GamerYO -->
Get Crucial, the Corsair you pointed out is a waste of hard earned (hopefully) cash.
August 20, 2007 11:24:28 PM

so could someone get me a list of the parts of the specs i should i get? thnx :) 
August 21, 2007 12:21:42 AM

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

Video Card: eVGA 8800GTX (No overclock)

RAM: 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Extreme-Ultra 120 or Tuniq Tower 120

HD: Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM

Optical Drive: Lite-On DVD Drive

PSU: Corsair 620HX

Mouse: G5 Gaming mouse

August 21, 2007 1:05:09 AM
August 21, 2007 1:05:50 AM

My 2 cents:
emp has it about right.
The C2D processors are not very sensitive to memory speed unless you are overclocking. I would get 4gb of ddr2 800 memory from a name brand. With a 64 bit os, you will see all of it, and vista will use all that it sees to improve your system.
The corsair 620HX is very good. The PC power & cooling silencer 610 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
is equally good an costs a bit less.
The WD raptor 150 adfd is the fastest drive around. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . How much faster? and is it worth it? I don't know. If you want the best, get one until you need more than 150gb, then add a slower, cheaper capacity drive later.
---good luck---
August 21, 2007 1:09:35 AM

Agreed with geofelt, the Silencer 610 is just as amazing as the Corsair. However I wouldn't recommend a raptor, it's not worth the speed for the kind of money you're paying, If I were you, I'd rather pay $200 to get a 750GB drive instead of $200 for a 150GB drive that boots windows 15seconds faster.
August 21, 2007 1:11:05 AM

if you look about 2 posts up you can see i posted new config
August 21, 2007 1:20:43 AM

I'd drop the X-Fi unless you really are crapping money or are an audiophile. And I recommend checking out this headset:

SENNHEISER HD201 3.5mm w/ Adapter to 1/4" (6.3 mm) Connector Circumaural Closed Back Headphone - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, I'd go with vista 64 Home premium at this point if you have to get a new OS, gaming performance is equal to XP SP2 at this point and there aren't as many bugs as people claim (at least I didnt find any), plus you get Dx10 support, so... Why pay for XP now and Vista later on when you want DX10, while you can do one single purchase? up to you.

Other than that, you're good to go.
August 21, 2007 2:17:52 AM

thank you emp and everyone i will really consider the 64 bit Vista...i am gonna get that headset thank you for link emp :D 
August 21, 2007 2:39:37 AM

You have to get Bioshock too! I just played the demo and omfg!!! AWESOME. I hacked a bot and electrocuted some bitches with the plasmid!
August 21, 2007 3:20:00 AM

oh boy i am :D  it looks like a great game
!