Advice: New Comp. Now or Wait for DX 10.1??

buhrd1

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
I want to buy a new complete PC now. Going for a evga geforce 8800GTX card. I need an upgrade from my 2year old laptop, but my friend is telling me to wait for Directx 10.1 hardware since it's apparent that Directx 10 hardware won't be forward capable.

I need advice. Should I upgrade from a laptop (with 1.86ghz intel, 1gig ram (256megs shared with VGA), and geforce 6800 go) now? Or should I wait for Directx 10.1 hardware which is rumored/scheduled for "first half of 2008?"

Convince me that the differences are going to be significant enough to wait. Thanks much. I appreciate any help.

EDIT: I would really like something now, but if the changes are significant enough...I would rather not get "screwed", if that makes sense.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I personally see no need for a rush to DX10, especially when the rumor that DX10.1 will not be backwards compatible with DX10.
Add the fact that you need Vista to run DX10 et all makes it even less desirable in the short term.

I just built a Q6600 machine, and I am running Win Xp Pro on it. I gave Vista Ultimate a go but other than the things that make it pretty, I really see no need for it, right now.
I will re-evaluate this some time next year. After the first Vista service pack and a more stable Vista with DX10.x.

Making DX10 only available on Vista was MS's way to sell more of it's OS.
We have some great games that just don't need DX10 to play them, as we have excellent computers to run them on.

All this comes down to want anyways, if you want it, get it.

Me, I'm going to hold off on DX10.x, until that killer thing that I want, needs it.

cleeve

Illustrious
Dx10.1 is hardly something to bother waiting for.

If you have a game you can't play to your satisfaction on your laptop, and can afford it... upgrade.

If you don't have a game that you can't play to you satisfaction, then upgrading is a waste of money.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I don't believe the HD 2900XT is actually Direct X10.1 compliant, but it has some Direct X10.1 features like Tessellation.