Sign in with
Your question

New mainboard - Advice please

Last response: in Overclocking
October 16, 2007 7:58:19 AM

Hi all. I'm currently swapping pieces of my system out having recently purchased one of the glorious g0 batch of Q6600 CPU's.

At present, everything lives in the DFI Infinity 975X/G hotel, but i'm seeing a lot of good reviews for Asus and Gigabyte boards.

With the current range available and with overclocking in mind, what would you guys buy? I'd prefer to stick to Crossfire as I have an X1950XTX and X1950 Master-card and as i'm not a bleeding edge kinda guy, P35 seems to be the best option for me at the moment. I also have the Swiftech H20 Apex Ultra+ kit with an extra single radiator and YS-Tech 120mm Fan (like a friggin turbine engine cooler 125cfm woot) which i will be using on this board and kit.

Any help here is greatfully received.

Insomnai

More about : mainboard advice

October 16, 2007 11:24:16 AM

I've seen the Gigabyte GA_P35_DS4 and the Asus P5K Premium WI-FI/AP boards which look pretty good spec wise.

Any more light on this would be great.
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2007 11:42:54 AM

Instead P5K-PREMIUM , look for P5K-E , but remember something , 975x chipset support CrossFire @ 8x mode , but P35 boards support crossfire @ 16x4x mode , (With the exception of ASUS BLITZ Formula and ASUS BLITZ Extreme)
Related resources
October 16, 2007 1:18:58 PM

Thanks for the input there! Is there a reason to leave out the p5k premium board and go for the p5k-e? I've read that some people are having problems with that particular board and didn't want to get caught short...

Thanks again

Insomnai
October 16, 2007 2:13:03 PM

Well thank you very much Maziar, much appreciated buddy!

I took a look at the photo's and they do seem almost identical.

Ok, another question for you since you were kind enough to point it out.

Is crossfire not as good when running one card at 16x and one card at 4x?

Big differencd from 8x and 8x?

Regards

Insomnai
October 16, 2007 2:59:58 PM

Damn, P35 didn't do so well there did it? Mind you, I don't have the 2900's, or vista. I have XP SP2 and Crossfire X1950XTX.

Would I be better off sticking with my DFI Infinity 975X/G for the time being? or do these new fangled X38 boards promise great things for crossfire?
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 16, 2007 5:00:29 PM

X38 doesnt have much differenece with P35 , the main difference is that X38 supports CrossFire @ Dual 16x mode , which is good , but they are expensive :

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=7...

as u see, the cheapest one (GIGABYTE X38 DQ6) is £176

and as i said there are only 2 P35 boards which support Crossfire @ 8x8x mode , (BLITZ EXTREME , which is DDR3 , and BLITZ FORMULA which is DDR2 ) and BLITZ FORMULA is £164 :
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=607903

8x8x and 16x16x doesnt have much difference ( the difference isnt noticeable ) , here is an old but good benchmark comparing 16x16x vs 8x8x :

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asu...
October 16, 2007 6:22:30 PM

Was looking at the X38 but it seems that intel is recalling the x38 chipset boards due to an inherant fault with them. I've asked the local supplier but they can't shed any light on it just yet.

I was looking at that very board but with this news, i'm just not sure of anything...

Regards

Insomnai
October 17, 2007 8:07:56 AM

Although the Blitz Formula looks nice also! hmmmm.....
October 17, 2007 12:55:56 PM

Again, thanks Maziar. Those reviews were excellent and massively detailed. Pretty much everything I could have asked for.

I've put in my preorder for my Asus Blitz Formula board and a few people have asked me for results of installation and cooling / overclocking when mastered as they also have their eye on this board.

I'm looking forward to posting great results.

Many thanks buddy.

Insomnai
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 17, 2007 1:39:30 PM

no problem
good luck
October 22, 2007 1:22:32 PM

Well, after all that, Asus have discontinued the Blitz Formula board. Was on the shelf for 3 weeks prior to being removed from circulation. Therefore, I have pleasure in purchasing the Maximus Formula. Again, I'll post results once I get everything installed.

Little annoyed though cos x48 chipset is being released in a few month and will be the shizznit apparently.

Regards

Insomnai
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 22, 2007 7:30:57 PM

No one knows when exactly when X48 will come out , dont worry about it
October 24, 2007 5:15:02 PM

Well, got the board, in all its glorious shinyness. Only gripe with it is the 8 pin power block for the mainboard being in an odd position top left of the cpu, whereas the main block is on the right hand side hidden away in a much better location.

Other than that, it's bloody marvellous.

Options even I can understand hehehehe

Regards

Insomnai
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2007 6:07:51 PM

enjoy it !
!