Sign in with
Your question

No Bioshock for X800/850 owners? Wait a min...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2007 2:49:22 PM

As you may already know, the incredible action game that is Bioshock requires pixel shader 3.0 support in order to run. There is no ps2.0b mode, thus, the game will show major graphical problems on the ATI Radeon X800 and X850.

But, all hope is not lost yet! A couple of motivated people are working on a fix for we who own the best video cards ever designed. Think Oldblivion for FX video cards, but in Bioshock and for X800/850. It's still far from perfection, but, what, 2 weeks after the game's release, it's already an impressive effort.

See their forum here. Full article here.

EDIT: here's a petition to Irrational for adding 2.0 shader support in a later patch. At the time of writing this, above 4700 people have signed it. http://www.petitiononline.com/BioShock/petition.html
August 29, 2007 3:20:13 PM

Just upgrade man... jeez.
August 29, 2007 3:37:19 PM

If you will donate 1000$ to me through paypal, I gladly will.
Related resources
August 29, 2007 3:44:12 PM

Dude you're talking about my private situation like you know anything about it. But you don't and I've no reason to explain it to you.

This thread's not about me it's about Bioshock's availability to ps2.0 video cards. Jeez.
August 29, 2007 3:58:51 PM

All Unreal3 games require Shader model 3.0, and how are the X800 series the best videocards ever designed?
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2007 4:08:06 PM

No MOH: Airborne(also unreal3 engine) for X8xx owners either.
August 29, 2007 4:10:53 PM

I think the good doctor was saying that with tongue in cheek because he owns one, Heyyou. :) 

Personally I think the unreal guys have made a notable error is ignoring all the SM 2.0 cards out there, many of which still have enough horsepower to push games like Bioshock.

Hopefully, the efforts of the modding community will influence the Unreal engine devs to add support for older cards, alot of which are still out there providing good service...
August 29, 2007 4:18:07 PM

As far as I know, Unreal Tournament 3 (tell me that's not based on the UE3 engine!) supports pixel shader 2.0. http://unreal.freakygaming.com/pc/action/unreal_tournam...

The Unreal 3 engine allows both pixel shaders 2.0 and 3.0, its up to developpers to use whatever he likes. There's nothing in there that forces ps3.0 requirements.
August 29, 2007 4:21:32 PM

Yeah, even Crysis is going to support SM2.0. This is a pic of a SM2.0 card playing bioshock, notice the white in the background. It is not perfect put it is playable.

I have a x800xt and I am playing bioshock. I just have the demo now, as I am waiting till the fix is complete.
August 29, 2007 4:46:34 PM

cleeve said:
I think the good doctor was saying that with tongue in cheek because he owns one, Heyyou. :) 
I know, but he was so convincing I almost went and bought a new X850XT. ;) 

jepperson said:
Yeah, even Crysis is going to support SM2.0. This is a pic of a SM2.0 card playing bioshock, notice the white in the background. It is not perfect put it is playable.

http://i12.tinypic.com/54ntrfk.jpg

I have a x800xt and I am playing bioshock. I just have the demo now, as I am waiting till the fix is complete.
Maybe they should add Shader Model 2.0 support; that screen shot doesn't look much different than under Shader Model 3.0. How does the game run on your X800XT?
August 29, 2007 4:56:41 PM

Heyyou27 said:
I know, but he was so convincing I almost went and bought a new X850XT. ;) 
Almost? Noooo, I failed.... :lol: 

Heyyou27 said:
Maybe they should add Shader Model 2.0 support; that screen shot doesn't look much different than under Shader Model 3.0. How does the game run on your X800XT?
Yup that's basically the point. X800 and 850 are still very decent card in terms of raw performance, plus in ps2.0 you can do pretty much anything that is possible in ps3.0. Heck, Valve uses ps2.0 HDR in Half-Life 2: Episode One (and 2, judging from the screenshots).

So basically, we who own the pinnacle of gpu enginnering feel cheated. :non: 
August 29, 2007 5:16:08 PM

jepperson said:

I'm pretty sure Crysis will support SM2.0, since in the minimum requirements they list an x800gto, unless they have changed this since the initial requirement announcement.
August 29, 2007 5:26:26 PM

"I'm pretty sure Crysis will support SM2.0," didn't I just say that it would.

As for Bioshock, it plays just fine on my X800XT, no slowdowns, very smooth, keep in mind that the unofficial fix is not done completely, so there are a few missing textures here and there. I would not recommend buying the game until the fix is done.

So you know the rest of my system to get an idea how it may be on yours:
AMD 3500+ and 2GB Ram, oh and my X800XT is AGP.
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2007 5:34:02 PM

As an X800 owner I have already experienced the feeling of being left behind when the latest Splinter Cell game was released. I experienced extreme inadequacy when Oblivion was released. :cry: 

However, it isn't just my AGP X800 that is inadequate. I could just buy an AGP X1950 if that was so. There is also the realization that my entire P4 3.0 865P system (built to handle Doom 3 and Half Life 2) is becoming a relic, and just updating the AGP card would not buy me much. We will need a C2D system to play the latest games.

Technology keeps advancing. This includes GPUs and DirectX. I don't feel cheated at all! I am glad that they keep advancing to provide game developers more tools to create better games. The same goes for consoles.

I predict that this trend will continue! The state of the art today will be inadequate in the near future. :o 

So, to your whining about your X800 card I say :kaola:  :kaola:  :kaola:  :kaola: 
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 29, 2007 8:01:41 PM

To DXRick
Dont know what you are on about i upgraded to a x800xl to play Oblivion and it did a blinding job(until it died on me) :(  .I agree with you though about the tec keeps marching on but i have some sympathy with those who cant upgrade be it budget or whatever reason.This whole thread seems a bit ironic to me as i have spent the last week on here advising people on AGP upgrades only to have the enevitable few dropping in with "your rig is c*** you need to upgrade"etc which as i pointed out is a scewed point of view as the 1950xt can be had as AGP which is about the 4/5th fastest card out there! Same thing as the good Dr points out with the x800 cards wish they had put the newer features on one and started at the x1600s :D 
Mactronix
August 29, 2007 8:05:34 PM

DXRick said:
As an X800 owner I have already experienced the feeling of being left behind when the latest Splinter Cell game was released. I experienced extreme inadequacy when Oblivion was released. :cry: 

However, it isn't just my AGP X800 that is inadequate. I could just buy an AGP X1950 if that was so. There is also the realization that my entire P4 3.0 865P system (built to handle Doom 3 and Half Life 2) is becoming a relic, and just updating the AGP card would not buy me much. We will need a C2D system to play the latest games.
I agree for the most part. I have a similar system, and yes, I'm not expecting much more gaming life out of it. The next big thing on my buying list is not an upgrade, it's a new system altogether. But it's not before Christmas. :whistle:  In the meantime, I'd still like to have at least the possibility of trying the game, given the fact that it scales well on older systems. Oblivion isn't exactly what I would call scalable.
a c 102 U Graphics card
August 29, 2007 9:39:47 PM

Will this work on the retail game?

time to see if a 9800pro(my brothers computer) can play it :) 
August 29, 2007 10:08:48 PM

the unofficial patch does work for the retail and the demo in the exact same manner. as for a 9800, they haven't been getting as good of results as people with x800s. Pre x700 cards used SM2.0 and X700 and X800s used SM2.0b a bit more advanced version of SM2.0 ATI came out with.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2007 4:51:44 AM

jepperson said:

This Pic looks Like ****, don't ever disgrace a beautiful game such as Bioshock with these disgusting images. UPGRADE your computer or stop whining. Maybe....just maybe, this game doesnt support SM2.0 so that they can encourage the purchase of new graphics cards that do support it. Who on earth would enjoy playing a game at 10 fps on a SM2.0 card anyways. This is like when I see those 'Which AGP card should I get thread' makes me want to scream upgrade already and join the times, this is an enthusiast forum, act like youre 'enthused'. UPGRADE
August 30, 2007 5:28:27 AM

Annisman said:
This Pic looks Like ****, don't ever disgrace a beautiful game such as Bioshock with these disgusting images. UPGRADE your computer or stop whining. Maybe....just maybe, this game doesnt support SM2.0 so that they can encourage the purchase of new graphics cards that do support it. Who on earth would enjoy playing a game at 10 fps on a SM2.0 card anyways. This is like when I see those 'Which AGP card should I get thread' makes me want to scream upgrade already and join the times, this is an enthusiast forum, act like youre 'enthused'. UPGRADE
Once the patch is fixed it'll likely look better; also, we're obviously not playing the same game because I didn't think Bioshock looked all that great even in Direct X10 on my 8800GTX.
August 30, 2007 5:28:56 AM

Annisman said:

Umm.....yeah..... :non: 
Not all of us are loaded down with cash...so we can't afford the newest stuff.
Be nice.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2007 6:09:06 AM

Annisman said:

Theres the door, use it ---->

'Enthusiast' has no connection with 'rich', so please do the world a favour and die.
August 30, 2007 7:00:30 AM

Colin Mc Rae won't even run on anything else but a SM3.0+ card. That's life...
August 30, 2007 8:11:33 AM

I think its very slack that they wont tweak it to support sm2.0 cards when 1 person has done it in less then a month.
August 30, 2007 11:53:29 AM

"Who on earth would enjoy playing a game at 10 fps on a SM2.0 card anyways."

Since you obviously don't know what you are talking about GTFO. I get bare minimum mid 40fps. The main creator of this fix has a 8800 himself, but he enough sense to realize they should have supported SM2.0. The 8800s, 2900s, and the 1900s > X800s, thats about it. Graphic card families overlap each other so much when they are released, if you were to upgrade from a x800 to a 2600 for example it would be DX10 and SM4.0 support, but performance wise it would be a backwards step.

Another pic, it just keeps getting better, and they are no where near done.
August 30, 2007 12:39:37 PM

jepperson said:
"Who on earth would enjoy playing a game at 10 fps on a SM2.0 card anyways."

Since you obviously don't know what you are talking about GTFO. I get bare minimum mid 40fps. The main creator of this fix has a 8800 himself, but he enough sense to realize they should have supported SM2.0. The 8800s, 2900s, and the 1900s > X800s, thats about it. Graphic card families overlap each other so much when they are released, if you were to upgrade from a x800 to a 2600 for example it would be DX10 and SM4.0 support, but performance wise it would be a backwards step.

What I don't understand is why AMD and Nvidia crippled their newer gen budget chips? They could have done better. Thats not to say they are completely useless. I just got an XPS M1330 laptop with the 8400GS and it scores 1625 in 3Dmark06, which if I recall is about the same as an X800XL on my old Athlon machine 3000+.

It can actually run Bioshock demo SM3 @ 800x600 with high settings and slightly jicky in a heavy fight. Its not ideal but I was surprised it worked at all.

August 30, 2007 1:19:13 PM

Yep, the 8600/2600 and lower DX10 cards are pretty weak.
As for 2K not supporting SM2.0 it is all about $$. Nvidia "the way it's meant to be played", right.
It worked in everyones favor, Nvidia, 2K and M$ not to support SM2.0.
August 30, 2007 3:18:14 PM

Annisman said:
This Pic looks Like ****, don't ever disgrace a beautiful game such as Bioshock with these disgusting images. UPGRADE your computer or stop whining.

Congratulations!

You win the "ignorant elitist twit who doesn't know what he is talking about" award... :sarcastic: 

a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2007 5:18:24 PM

Don't hate me cuz youre all poor wtf. Stop working at Mc Donalds go to college and get some money.
August 30, 2007 5:39:53 PM

Annisman said:
Don't hate me cuz youre all poor wtf. Stop working at Mc Donalds go to college and get some money.

Consider that not everyone with the financial means have the will to spend their disposable income on a new high end GPU every year or two. It was not so long ago that a x800 was a good video card and not necessarily cheap.

Also consider that some owners of these cards may be in college or even on their way.

And finally consider that the purpose of this thread was to help people run the game without an sm3.0 card, not to belittle them.

On topic here is a good Bioshock tweaking guide that gets into the some more info on running with sm2.0.
http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_9.html
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2007 5:41:40 PM

jepperson said:

you keep posting that pic in multiple threads even, it looks horrible and I'm not talking the white area either.
Yours

vs
Mine(7900GT)

Why keep posting an ugly pic when there are better ones running around

August 30, 2007 5:57:20 PM

Ouchie. That 800x600 pic really did hurt my eyes.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2007 6:02:39 PM

Annisman said:

Going to a college and mugging rich college kids is NOT the answer! :non: 

August 30, 2007 6:37:31 PM

Annisman said:
Not everyone on this forum is still living under their parent's roof, and able to spend $600 with mommy's credit card whenever a new GPU comes out.
August 30, 2007 6:37:41 PM

actually that wasn't my pic, I run at higher resolution than that, that was someone elses, and there are better pics of the mod out there just look around. I just grabbed the first 1 I seen for an example.
August 30, 2007 7:14:46 PM

Annisman said:

heheh. Hate you? The only emotion you'll be getting from me is pity.... :lol: 

Besides, I get my computer hardware for free. That's what happens when you're a hardware reviewer, lad. :D 
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2007 7:16:18 PM

jepperson said:
actually that wasn't my pic, I run at higher resolution than that, that was someone elses, and there are better pics of the mod out there just look around. I just grabbed the first 1 I seen for an example.

And the last thing i said was

Quote:
Why keep posting an ugly pic when there are better ones running around
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2007 7:18:09 PM

Heyyou27 said:
Not everyone on this forum is still living under their parent's roof, and able to spend $600 with mommy's credit card whenever a new GPU comes out.

That's an absolutely baseless acusation. People need to get lives and upgrade to SM3.0 so we don't have to hear people whining all day long.
August 30, 2007 7:23:17 PM

Annisman said:
That's an absolutely baseless acusation.

Kind of like accusing a person of being poor or working at McDonalds?

How does your foot feel, being so far in your mouth like that... :D 

August 30, 2007 7:24:53 PM

cleeve said:
I get my computer hardware for free. That's what happens when you're a hardware reviewer, lad. :D 

How do I get a job like that! :sol: 
August 30, 2007 7:27:36 PM

You just have to be a decent writer with good sense and a computer hardware background. :) 
August 30, 2007 8:25:17 PM

Annisman said:
People need to get lives and upgrade to SM3.0 so we don't have to hear people whining all day long.

"Get lives"? :lol:  No offense to anyone at this forum because I'm just as guilty as the rest of you, but most people who "have lives" don't spend hours locked away in a room playing video games... on the latest hardware or otherwise. They also don't go around trying to show off how cool they are based on how good of a system they have... they use things like houses and Bentleys to do that... :ange: 

-mcg
August 30, 2007 9:06:34 PM

ok, another voice from the 'not rich' crowd here.

I dont work at Micky D's (or any other food establishment for that matter), but infact am a computer professional. Ok, you would think that would make me rich (dont all computer pro's make mega bucks??) well, newflash, MOST computer professionals (ok let me narrow that down, I am a hardware man, NOT software) in my field dont make a hell of a lot.

My meager income goes to the following items (pretty much in order of necessity).

1. Feed the wife and kid
2. keep the roof over the head of me and family (read this as all household related expenses, other than food)
3. auto upkeep (gas, insurance, maintainance, etc.)
4. well, that just leaves me about 5 bucks a week to spend on whatever the hell I want..

as you can see, even tho I work with cutting edge hardware for my customers every day, I dont get to play with it on my own personal pc. if your interested in what you can build for a VERY minimum of $ outlay, look at this. (mind you, nothing has been added to this in about 3 yrs).

p4 2.8 northwood
P875 mobo
2 gig of ddr (mismatched, no dual channel for me!)
numerous hdd's of various sizes
X800XL (which is a recent aquisition, about 6 months ago).
Audigy

I got most of the parts there for free, from friends who have (or had) too much money in their respective pockets and were upgrading constantly.

August 30, 2007 10:08:48 PM

upgrading is a bitch might as well join the crowd.i have got to upgrade mine soon.the idea of all that money leaving my hands makes me sick
August 30, 2007 10:55:42 PM

cleeve said:
Kind of like accusing a person of being poor or working at McDonalds?

How does your foot feel, being so far in your mouth like that... :D 

annisman got owned! :hello: 
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2007 3:49:26 AM

MrCommunistGen said:
"Get lives"? :lol:  No offense to anyone at this forum because I'm just as guilty as the rest of you, but most people who "have lives" don't spend hours locked away in a room playing video games... on the latest hardware or otherwise. They also don't go around trying to show off how cool they are based on how good of a system they have... they use things like houses and Bentleys to do that... :ange: 

-mcg

ROFL, BTW I never once mentioned or 'bragged' about what kind of hardware I have ONCE on this thread, for all you know I have an x800 myself. When it comes down to it I just cant stand the whining. Shut up, buy the new vid card or keep your mouth shut. Is my response to this thread. That picture looks like garbage. Other people have agreed. Maybe you are supposed to have a decent vid card to play the game..... so that it actually looks nice, IMo nobody can experience Bioshock or any other New game coming out with at least decent hardware. Oh and BTW i have a Camaro. No house yet, I'll sell my x800 and get working on that right away for ya. :kaola: 
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2007 4:19:17 AM

STFU
August 31, 2007 4:28:57 AM

gamespot has a patch that allows shader model 2 to be used in bioshock
August 31, 2007 5:02:51 AM

randomizer said:
STFU

Agreed.
!