In Process Of Build Some Questions

sm0ke

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Ok I currently have gotten this far> Installed the Power Supply(Corsair HX620watts), MotherBoard,Video Card(EVGA 8800 640mb Factory Superclocked) DVD drive, HardDrive.(didnt install the Processor or memory yet b/c UPS sent it to wrong house, so itll be here on monday) My questions are..

Wireing Questions:
1.Ok the case i have (Antec Nine Hundred) comes with 4 fans. I connected 3 of the four fans with a three head 4-pin connector to the power supply. The remaining fan i connected with a single 4-pin connector to the power supply. Did i do this right? Also each fan has a liittle switch to controle the fan speed between Low-Med-High , what setting should my fans be on? (two fans in front, one on top, one in back)
2.I connected the DVD drive and HDD power connectors together and to the power supply. Then i connected each of them with a SATA cord to the motherboard. Is this right?
3.Does my Video Card need to be connected to the power supply? I see a 6-pin connector on the side of it but i think thats there to link 2 cards together, am i right?

I also connected the powersupply to the ATX 24-pin part of the motherboard and the ATX_12v 4-pin part

and one last question when im done fixing my mistakes. im sure i didnt do it perfectly can i plug it in to see if LED's go on ect. ? Or is it bad to turn it on before you get the processor and memory?

Sorry for all the questions but its my first build and not one person has to answer them all. Thank you all in advanced!! :]

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
1. Your on track, depending how cool you want your computer to run and how warm the air in your room is. Once we see how cool your system is running then we can deside what setting is best.
2. Great
3. You need to connect the 6 pin PCI-E to the graphics card, "your doing great by the way". As for turning on the system without CPU & ram, "I wouldn't do it." How many PCI-E 6 pin connectors does your graphics card have?

sm0ke

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
It has one 6-pin connector.The video card came with a 6-pin connector and it branches into two "4-pin" connectors with 3-pins 1 pin is missing(do u know what i mean?) Thank you for your complements, yea first build seems that the graphics card is the only "problem" then UPS needs to get its a** here with the other 2 parts lol.

sm0ke

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
O and one other thing, there is some clutter of wires that can be organized with zip ties, how neat does it have to be? Completely out of site? or just together and not near any moving parts?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

As long as you wires are bundled together thats great. You would be amazed on how IDE cables can mess with your airflow, just bundle the wires and push them out of the way away from fans and there flow. As for that Y cable I saw on that link you gave that'll work to. To bad those cables were not around two years ago.

If you have anymore questions please ask away.

TRENDING THREADS