Sign in with
Your question

AGP voltage problem.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2007 7:03:25 PM

Hello,

I have an older PC, and the original video card I had was an AGP 9600. Occasionally in games ASUS probe would pop up and show that the 3.3v voltage had dropped to ~3, sometimes even as low as 2.8. I recklessly ignored it until several months later I wake up to find my video card burnt out. I replaced it with an ATI x1300 which ran fine for the following 2 years with none of the voltage problems. A few days ago I replaced the x1300 with an AGP 7600GT and I'm experiencing the exact same problem I had with the 9600. There's a power cable attached to the 7600GT so it should be receiving enough power. My power supply is a 450w topower.

Basically, I need some advice here.. is my power supply done? I don't want to rush out and replace the power supply only to have the exact same problem. What are my options here?

Thanks.

More about : agp voltage problem

August 29, 2007 9:01:28 PM

After doing some googling, unfortunately I think the problem might be with the motherboard. It's an ASUS p4800-e and I've seen people talk about the same problem with that line of motherboard. If so, it could be because the 9600 didn't use a power cable and taxed the system harder than the 1300, which did use a power cable. The 7600GT uses a power cable but it presumably requires more power than the 1300, so the problem manifested itself after installing that card.

Whatever.. I'm screwed I think, regardless. I guess I'll take it into a local repair shop.
August 29, 2007 9:03:13 PM

Still might be your PSU doesn't have enough juice to supply a beefier card.
Related resources
August 29, 2007 10:05:28 PM

I tried out some benchmarking/stability apps and was able to bring on the problem with a simple 'memory stress test.' It seems any heavy load that at least involves a lot of memory causes the 3.3v to dip.

Actually, I was just sitting here browsing websites and the Asus Probe popped up saying it'd dropped to 3.0v, which hasn't happened before.. I wonder if all that stress testing weakened my system. Could the video card be to blame even though it was basically doing nothing?
August 30, 2007 3:29:38 PM

I'd be more inclined to blame the PSU.
!