trouble with adjusting multiplier. plz help

VinceAK04

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I'm new to overclocking. I have an ASUS p5n32-e sli plus mobo and a e6300 conroe. I tried to oc and got it up to 2.27 ghz. I know i can go higher but I got this result only tweaking the FSB. I've tried increasing the cpu multiplier from 7 to 8 and 7 to 9 but after choosing save and exit the multiplier goes back to 7. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/help.

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I believe that the CPU multiplier on all the mid - low range Conroes are actually locked, and that it can only be changed on the extreme models.

I may be wrong though.

Cheers

VinceAK04

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
OK, thanks for that info. That bums me out a bit. Are there any other things I can do to make this thing go faster? I've heard of people running their e6300 at 3 ghz. Is that all just by changing the fsb?

Yes - The main overclocking tool you have is increasing your FSB. Now, a 1.86 to 3Ghz is a pretty steep overclock - With a 7 multi, you'd need to run your FSB at 430Mhz: That's going from 1066 to 1720Mhz. You can do that, but at that large a jump you'd:

(1) Certainly have to bump the voltage to your CPU some - More volts = more heat. Is your cooling up to the job?

(2) Likely have to bump chipset voltages as well: 266 to 430 is a pretty healthy jump. My board is going 400 on Auto, but I'm pretty sure that's about as much as it'd go without bumping the chipset some. Again: More volts = more heat, and do you have good cooling?

(3) Nearly all Intel boards link memory and FSB speeds. You'll have to watch out you don't clock your memory too hard by accident. Not too big a deal, but you'll have to pay attention. At a 430 FSB, you could mildly overclock DDR2-800 RAM at 1:1 and end up with an 860 clock there. Should be fine given any decent DDR2-800 RAM.

By way of (vague) comparison: I have my Q sitting on an 8 multi/400Mhz FSB with my memory running at 800. Runs very nicely, CPU is fine, chipset a bit warmer, at basically stock voltages. A similar setup would have your chip running at 2.8Ghz, presuming you leave the multi at 7. I don't know where you are now, but I'd pick an intermediate step before jumping to 400, for sure...

By way of disclaimer: My Mobo/chipset/proc/memory are all different from yours. Therefore your mileage *will* vary.

VinceAK04

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Thanks for the tips. My cpu is running at about 42 C right now so i think the the cooling is ok as long as i don't go to high. i'll be happy with about 2.5 ghz out of this thing. What is too hot for the temp on the cpu? How hot can i get it without worrying about it?

Is that 42 under load? or Idle? How fast do you have it going now? What are you using to measure the temps? I ask because 42 idle is kind of high, 42 under a heavy load is wonderfully low, but that's a reasonable temp while playing a game...

When you're really beating the snot out of the computer with Orthos or Prime 95 - (links available in the Overclocking Thread) - I'm comfortable seeing temps in the 60's, as long as they're stable over the course of the test. If you're closing on, or exceeding, 70 degrees C then you need to look at your cooling/voltages and see what you can do to make it better.

Mostly, as long as you ditch the stock Heat Sink/Fan for a high quality cooler then you should be good as long as it's installed properly.

Go through the "How To Overclock a C2D..." sticky. Read through it a couple times. It's an excellent general guide.

VinceAK04

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Its actually closer to about 40 C idle. When playing games it jumps up to around 50 I believe. I use CoreTemp to measure the temp. This is with my E6300 @ 2.45 ghz. Thanks for the help :)