Can Dual Boot be setup with two Win XP's?

July 5, 2005 8:37:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all
other Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it
is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
of the COA issue.
In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
applied?

More about : dual boot setup win

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:37:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

There shouldnt be a problem as log as they are on two different
paritions.You can use the NTFS file system for both installations ,no need to
have one FAt32 and the other NTFS.

Regards
ADEO

"J Tsuzuki" wrote:

> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all
> other Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it
> is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
> partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
> of the COA issue.
> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
> Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
> I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
> is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
> will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
> FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
> applied?

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:21:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks for prompt response. The Microsoft's article about Multibooting
with Win XP, however and I already stated, does not refer to the pairing
of two XP's and accordingly I still do not have information about the
feasibility of XP-XP dual boot as well as required file systems if it is
possible.

Here is what I have understood so far:
In a dual boot computer, it will start by going to the primary (active)
partition as it normally does in a single boot computer and then read
boot.ini file in the primary active partition. This file in the dual
boot computer contains information of both OS's if written according to
correct formula. Then it will offer choice menu for a desired OS.

What I do not know and want to know is whether the Win XP's design will
rejects or ignores when it sees in the boot.ini file the presence of
same XP installed in another partition, and/or whether the primary XP
rejects or ignores when it sees the usage of the same file system such
as NTFS in the other XP.

If anyone has sure kno0wledge about these aspects of dual booting,
please let me know.
(Who needs the same XP in two separate partitions? In my case, one is
English and the other Japanese (8 byte-system).

J Tsuzuki wrote:

> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all
> other Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it
> is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
> partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
> of the COA issue.
> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
> Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
> I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
> is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
> will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
> FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
> applied?

July 5, 2005 10:49:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

It is very much possible to dual boot with two Windows XP setups. You can get more information about
multi-booting here:

Multibooting with Windows XP: Introduction
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"J Tsuzuki" <jtsuzuki@cox.net> wrote in message news:42CA7112.4080307@cox.net...
> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all other Windows, DOS and Linux
> but XP. I want to know if it means that it is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two
> XP's in two partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because of the COA
> issue.
> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is Japanese version, each
> carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case, I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini
> file in the primary XP is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS, will there be
> incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and FAT32 to the other? If so to which one
> (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be applied?

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:49:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi

If you have separate PKs for each of the XP versions, then yes, you can dual
boot with both.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"J Tsuzuki" <jtsuzuki@cox.net> wrote in message
> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all other
> Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it is
> technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two partitions
> or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because of the COA
> issue.
> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
> Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case, I
> don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP is
> correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
> will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
> FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
> applied?

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:49:07 PM

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you have separate PKs for each of the XP versions, then yes, you
> can dual boot with both.

LOL! What BS! You CAN dual boot with the same PK. I know, I've done
it.

--
Peace!
Kurt

> Thanks for prompt response. The Microsoft's article about Multibooting
> with Win XP, however and I already stated, does not refer to the pairing
> of two XP's and accordingly I still do not have information about the
> feasibility of XP-XP dual boot as well as required file systems if it is
> possible.
>
> Here is what I have understood so far:
> In a dual boot computer, it will start by going to the primary (active)
> partition as it normally does in a single boot computer and then read
> boot.ini file in the primary active partition. This file in the dual boot
> computer contains information of both OS's if written according to correct
> formula. Then it will offer choice menu for a desired OS.
>
> What I do not know and want to know is whether the Win XP's design will
> rejects or ignores when it sees in the boot.ini file the presence of same
> XP installed in another partition, and/or whether the primary XP rejects
> or ignores when it sees the usage of the same file system such as NTFS in
> the other XP.
>
> If anyone has sure kno0wledge about these aspects of dual booting, please
> let me know.
> (Who needs the same XP in two separate partitions? In my case, one is
> English and the other Japanese (8 byte-system).
>
> J Tsuzuki wrote:
>
>> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all other
>> Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it is
>> technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
>> partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
>> of the COA issue.
>> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
>> Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
>> I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
>> is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
>> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
>> will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
>> FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
>> applied?

I understood where you were going until the "rejects or ignores" part...what
rejects or ignores what?

But never mind. You can install XP to different partitions, and it will
multiboot. I have done it. With NTFS. It is possible. It works. It isn't
difficult. You just be careful to install to the correct location, and the
boot.ini will list the different installations. In my case, I went into the
boot.ini afterwards to change the names listed on the menu so that I know
which is which, in case I forget or someone else decided to reboot the
computer.

I believe (but I may be wrong) that the last OS installed will become the
default that the system boots to. You can change this in the boot.ini if
that's not your intention.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:58:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

news:o 0NMP8UgFHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> If you have separate PKs for each of the XP versions, then yes, you
>> can dual boot with both.
>>

> LOL! What BS! You CAN dual boot with the same PK. I know, I've done it.

You do a lot of illegal things Kurt. That's not something to be proud of!!

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
July 5, 2005 4:58:56 PM

> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
> news:o 0NMP8UgFHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Will Denny wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> If you have separate PKs for each of the XP versions, then yes, you
>>> can dual boot with both.
>>>

>> LOL! What BS! You CAN dual boot with the same PK. I know, I've done
>> it.
>
> You do a lot of illegal things Kurt. That's not something to be proud
> of!!

So what!!

Will Denny wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:o 0NMP8UgFHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Will Denny wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> If you have separate PKs for each of the XP versions, then yes, you
>>> can dual boot with both.
>>>

>> LOL! What BS! You CAN dual boot with the same PK. I know, I've
>> done it.
>
> You do a lot of illegal things Kurt. That's not something to be
> proud of!!

LOL! Prove I do anything illegal, Will! But you can't, and you know
what that makes you? A bullsh*t artist.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:38:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

The way to set up a dual boot is to install one version of XP on One
partition and make sure it works.
Then from within that version of XP do a new install of XP onto another
partition.XP will create the necesary boot.ini file as well as rewrite the
MBR on the original partition.The key word here is NEW installation,you tell
it where to install to.
The computer will boot off the 1st partition and give you a choice of which
XP to start with...so be sure to know which is which...name the installation
directories differently.This also means that if you were to format that 1st
partition you would not be able to boot without doing a "repair"
installation.
Good luck
peterk

the problem
"J Tsuzuki" <jtsuzuki@cox.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for prompt response. The Microsoft's article about Multibooting
> with Win XP, however and I already stated, does not refer to the pairing
> of two XP's and accordingly I still do not have information about the
> feasibility of XP-XP dual boot as well as required file systems if it is
> possible.
>
> Here is what I have understood so far:
> In a dual boot computer, it will start by going to the primary (active)
> partition as it normally does in a single boot computer and then read
> boot.ini file in the primary active partition. This file in the dual boot
> computer contains information of both OS's if written according to correct
> formula. Then it will offer choice menu for a desired OS.
>
> What I do not know and want to know is whether the Win XP's design will
> rejects or ignores when it sees in the boot.ini file the presence of same
> XP installed in another partition, and/or whether the primary XP rejects
> or ignores when it sees the usage of the same file system such as NTFS in
> the other XP.
>
> If anyone has sure kno0wledge about these aspects of dual booting, please
> let me know.
> (Who needs the same XP in two separate partitions? In my case, one is
> English and the other Japanese (8 byte-system).
>
> J Tsuzuki wrote:
>
>> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all other
>> Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it is
>> technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
>> partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
>> of the COA issue.
>> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
>> Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
>> I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
>> is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
>> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
>> will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
>> FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
>> applied?

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:02:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

news:o OfOAMXgFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Will Denny wrote:
>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>> message news:o 0NMP8UgFHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

>>> LOL! What BS! You CAN dual boot with the same PK. I know, I've
>>> done it.
>>
>> You do a lot of illegal things Kurt. That's not something to be
>> proud of!!
>
> LOL! Prove I do anything illegal, Will! But you can't, and you know what
> that makes you? A bullsh*t artist.

Behave yourself Kurt - you never know what may happen!!

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:02:58 PM

Will Denny wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:o OfOAMXgFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Will Denny wrote:
>>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>>> message news:o 0NMP8UgFHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

>>> You do a lot of illegal things Kurt. That's not something to be
>>> proud of!!
>>
>> LOL! Prove I do anything illegal, Will! But you can't, and you
>> know what that makes you? A bullsh*t artist.
>
> Behave yourself Kurt - you never know what may happen!!

I know you cannot back up your false accusation that I "do a lot of
illegal things."

What does the Ten Commandments call making false accusations against
another person?

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:04:38 PM

J Tsuzuki wrote:
> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all
> other Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it
> is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
> partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
> of the COA issue.
> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
> Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
> I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
> is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
> will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
> FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
> applied?

Yes, you can easily create a dual-boot scenario, if you like.

For conflicting language versions of operating systems, and the
hiding of one's partition from another, I've found System Commander
from V-Communications very useful, in the past.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:06:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You don't install from the first XP.
Install using the second XP CD. Just make sure that the first install is
recognized and the second XP installs to another partition.
--
Ron Sommer

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> J Tsuzuki wrote:
>>
>>> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all
>>> other Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it
>>> is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
>>> partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
>>> of the COA issue.
>>> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
>>> Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
>>> I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
>>> is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
>>> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
>>> will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
>>> FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:06:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks
peterk

the problem
"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> You don't install from the first XP.
> Install using the second XP CD. Just make sure that the first install is
> recognized and the second XP installs to another partition.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
>> The way to set up a dual boot is to install one version of XP on One
>> partition and make sure it works.
>> Then from within that version of XP do a new install of XP onto another
>> partition.XP will create the necesary boot.ini file as well as rewrite
>> the MBR on the original partition.The key word here is NEW
>> installation,you tell it where to install to.
>> The computer will boot off the 1st partition and give you a choice of
>> which XP to start with...so be sure to know which is which...name the
>> installation directories differently.This also means that if you were to
>> format that 1st partition you would not be able to boot without doing a
>> "repair" installation.
>> Good luck
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
>> about the problem
>> "J Tsuzuki" <jtsuzuki@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for prompt response. The Microsoft's article about Multibooting
>>> with Win XP, however and I already stated, does not refer to the pairing
>>> of two XP's and accordingly I still do not have information about the
>>> feasibility of XP-XP dual boot as well as required file systems if it is
>>> possible.
>>>
>>> Here is what I have understood so far:
>>> In a dual boot computer, it will start by going to the primary (active)
>>> partition as it normally does in a single boot computer and then read
>>> boot.ini file in the primary active partition. This file in the dual
>>> boot computer contains information of both OS's if written according to
>>> correct formula. Then it will offer choice menu for a desired OS.
>>>
>>> What I do not know and want to know is whether the Win XP's design will
>>> rejects or ignores when it sees in the boot.ini file the presence of
>>> same XP installed in another partition, and/or whether the primary XP
>>> rejects or ignores when it sees the usage of the same file system such
>>> as NTFS in the other XP.
>>>
>>> If anyone has sure kno0wledge about these aspects of dual booting,
>>> please let me know.
>>> (Who needs the same XP in two separate partitions? In my case, one is

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:49:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thank you very much for providing information on this subject.

With your helpful information what I did is as follows:
1) I loaded Win XP Home supplied by Toshiba in the form of "Recovery
Disk". This CD gives no choice but to install the OS using the entire HD
(one partition.) It also offered no choice in file system but NTFS.
2) I resized the installed partition to about half of the HD capacity
using a partition manager (In my case 7Tools Partition Manager). This
step was based upon previous contribution of Ron Martell to help Terry's
posting to this NG on December 15, 2004.
This change resulted in a few error messages at reboot, but, at the
fourth reboot, dust settled and the Win XP Home worked apparently
normally using the reduced HD space.
3) Then I inserted the Win XP Pro (Japanese version) and proceded for
installation. It recognized the previously installed XP Home and asked
where to be installed and with which file system. I naturally selected
the remaining unpartitioned space and, whith some hesitancy, I chose
NTFS. Then a new partition was created using the remaining space,
formated and installation continued. The intermediate reboot already
showed recognition of the other XP.
4) When finished, I got the dual boot system which is same as dual boot
with different versions of Windows.
5) I now know there is no restriction for dual boot in terms of version
of Windows and type of file systems.

My experience should be helpful to people who desire to set up
dual/multi boot without wiping out an already installed OS, that is, by
resizing the used HD space. This is in contrast to the "official way" by
MS which requires prepartitioning. This should be especially helpful if
one happens to own Toshiba Satellite.

Thank you very very much to all responding to my question with helpful
information.
J Tsuzuki
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:05:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I would like to add one piece of information to your test that worked.
You "MUST" install the English OS first before the Japanese version. If you
install the Japanese version of XP into the computer and then try to install
English it will screw up the Japanese OS already installed, thus the method
you used of installing the English first and then the Japanese worked.

I have ran into that problem around 10 times and finally figured it out,
English first then another language.

Glad you were able to get it working though.

Jon

--
MCP
Honolulu, Hawaii