Can Dual Boot be setup with two Win XP's?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all
other Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it
is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
of the COA issue.
In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
applied?
17 answers Last reply
More about dual boot setup
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi,

    There shouldnt be a problem as log as they are on two different
    paritions.You can use the NTFS file system for both installations ,no need to
    have one FAt32 and the other NTFS.

    Regards
    ADEO

    "J Tsuzuki" wrote:

    > In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all
    > other Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it
    > is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
    > partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
    > of the COA issue.
    > In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
    > Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
    > I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
    > is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
    > concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
    > will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
    > FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
    > applied?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks for prompt response. The Microsoft's article about Multibooting
    with Win XP, however and I already stated, does not refer to the pairing
    of two XP's and accordingly I still do not have information about the
    feasibility of XP-XP dual boot as well as required file systems if it is
    possible.

    Here is what I have understood so far:
    In a dual boot computer, it will start by going to the primary (active)
    partition as it normally does in a single boot computer and then read
    boot.ini file in the primary active partition. This file in the dual
    boot computer contains information of both OS's if written according to
    correct formula. Then it will offer choice menu for a desired OS.

    What I do not know and want to know is whether the Win XP's design will
    rejects or ignores when it sees in the boot.ini file the presence of
    same XP installed in another partition, and/or whether the primary XP
    rejects or ignores when it sees the usage of the same file system such
    as NTFS in the other XP.

    If anyone has sure kno0wledge about these aspects of dual booting,
    please let me know.
    (Who needs the same XP in two separate partitions? In my case, one is
    English and the other Japanese (8 byte-system).

    J Tsuzuki wrote:

    > In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all
    > other Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it
    > is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
    > partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
    > of the COA issue.
    > In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
    > Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
    > I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
    > is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
    > concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
    > will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
    > FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
    > applied?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi,

    It is very much possible to dual boot with two Windows XP setups. You can get more information about
    multi-booting here:

    Multibooting with Windows XP: Introduction
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multiboot.mspx

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "J Tsuzuki" <jtsuzuki@cox.net> wrote in message news:42CA7112.4080307@cox.net...
    > In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all other Windows, DOS and Linux
    > but XP. I want to know if it means that it is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two
    > XP's in two partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because of the COA
    > issue.
    > In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is Japanese version, each
    > carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case, I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini
    > file in the primary XP is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
    > concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS, will there be
    > incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and FAT32 to the other? If so to which one
    > (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be applied?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi

    If you have separate PKs for each of the XP versions, then yes, you can dual
    boot with both.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "J Tsuzuki" <jtsuzuki@cox.net> wrote in message
    > In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all other
    > Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it is
    > technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two partitions
    > or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because of the COA
    > issue.
    > In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
    > Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case, I
    > don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP is
    > correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
    > concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
    > will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
    > FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
    > applied?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > If you have separate PKs for each of the XP versions, then yes, you
    > can dual boot with both.

    LOL! What BS! You CAN dual boot with the same PK. I know, I've done
    it.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    > Thanks for prompt response. The Microsoft's article about Multibooting
    > with Win XP, however and I already stated, does not refer to the pairing
    > of two XP's and accordingly I still do not have information about the
    > feasibility of XP-XP dual boot as well as required file systems if it is
    > possible.
    >
    > Here is what I have understood so far:
    > In a dual boot computer, it will start by going to the primary (active)
    > partition as it normally does in a single boot computer and then read
    > boot.ini file in the primary active partition. This file in the dual boot
    > computer contains information of both OS's if written according to correct
    > formula. Then it will offer choice menu for a desired OS.
    >
    > What I do not know and want to know is whether the Win XP's design will
    > rejects or ignores when it sees in the boot.ini file the presence of same
    > XP installed in another partition, and/or whether the primary XP rejects
    > or ignores when it sees the usage of the same file system such as NTFS in
    > the other XP.
    >
    > If anyone has sure kno0wledge about these aspects of dual booting, please
    > let me know.
    > (Who needs the same XP in two separate partitions? In my case, one is
    > English and the other Japanese (8 byte-system).
    >
    > J Tsuzuki wrote:
    >
    >> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all other
    >> Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it is
    >> technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
    >> partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
    >> of the COA issue.
    >> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
    >> Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
    >> I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
    >> is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
    >> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
    >> will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
    >> FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
    >> applied?

    I understood where you were going until the "rejects or ignores" part...what
    rejects or ignores what?

    But never mind. You can install XP to different partitions, and it will
    multiboot. I have done it. With NTFS. It is possible. It works. It isn't
    difficult. You just be careful to install to the correct location, and the
    boot.ini will list the different installations. In my case, I went into the
    boot.ini afterwards to change the names listed on the menu so that I know
    which is which, in case I forget or someone else decided to reboot the
    computer.

    I believe (but I may be wrong) that the last OS installed will become the
    default that the system boots to. You can change this in the boot.ini if
    that's not your intention.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > Will Denny wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> If you have separate PKs for each of the XP versions, then yes, you
    >> can dual boot with both.
    >>

    > LOL! What BS! You CAN dual boot with the same PK. I know, I've done it.

    You do a lot of illegal things Kurt. That's not something to be proud of!!

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
    >> Will Denny wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> If you have separate PKs for each of the XP versions, then yes, you
    >>> can dual boot with both.
    >>>

    >> LOL! What BS! You CAN dual boot with the same PK. I know, I've done
    >> it.
    >
    > You do a lot of illegal things Kurt. That's not something to be proud
    > of!!

    So what!!

    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Will Denny wrote:
    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > message news:O0NMP8UgFHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >> Will Denny wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> If you have separate PKs for each of the XP versions, then yes, you
    >>> can dual boot with both.
    >>>

    >> LOL! What BS! You CAN dual boot with the same PK. I know, I've
    >> done it.
    >
    > You do a lot of illegal things Kurt. That's not something to be
    > proud of!!

    LOL! Prove I do anything illegal, Will! But you can't, and you know
    what that makes you? A bullsh*t artist.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    The way to set up a dual boot is to install one version of XP on One
    partition and make sure it works.
    Then from within that version of XP do a new install of XP onto another
    partition.XP will create the necesary boot.ini file as well as rewrite the
    MBR on the original partition.The key word here is NEW installation,you tell
    it where to install to.
    The computer will boot off the 1st partition and give you a choice of which
    XP to start with...so be sure to know which is which...name the installation
    directories differently.This also means that if you were to format that 1st
    partition you would not be able to boot without doing a "repair"
    installation.
    Good luck
    peterk

    the problem
    "J Tsuzuki" <jtsuzuki@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for prompt response. The Microsoft's article about Multibooting
    > with Win XP, however and I already stated, does not refer to the pairing
    > of two XP's and accordingly I still do not have information about the
    > feasibility of XP-XP dual boot as well as required file systems if it is
    > possible.
    >
    > Here is what I have understood so far:
    > In a dual boot computer, it will start by going to the primary (active)
    > partition as it normally does in a single boot computer and then read
    > boot.ini file in the primary active partition. This file in the dual boot
    > computer contains information of both OS's if written according to correct
    > formula. Then it will offer choice menu for a desired OS.
    >
    > What I do not know and want to know is whether the Win XP's design will
    > rejects or ignores when it sees in the boot.ini file the presence of same
    > XP installed in another partition, and/or whether the primary XP rejects
    > or ignores when it sees the usage of the same file system such as NTFS in
    > the other XP.
    >
    > If anyone has sure kno0wledge about these aspects of dual booting, please
    > let me know.
    > (Who needs the same XP in two separate partitions? In my case, one is
    > English and the other Japanese (8 byte-system).
    >
    > J Tsuzuki wrote:
    >
    >> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all other
    >> Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it is
    >> technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
    >> partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
    >> of the COA issue.
    >> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
    >> Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
    >> I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
    >> is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
    >> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
    >> will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
    >> FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
    >> applied?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > Will Denny wrote:
    >> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    >> message news:O0NMP8UgFHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    >>> LOL! What BS! You CAN dual boot with the same PK. I know, I've
    >>> done it.
    >>
    >> You do a lot of illegal things Kurt. That's not something to be
    >> proud of!!
    >
    > LOL! Prove I do anything illegal, Will! But you can't, and you know what
    > that makes you? A bullsh*t artist.

    Behave yourself Kurt - you never know what may happen!!

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Will Denny wrote:
    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > message news:OOfOAMXgFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >> Will Denny wrote:
    >>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    >>> message news:O0NMP8UgFHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    >>> You do a lot of illegal things Kurt. That's not something to be
    >>> proud of!!
    >>
    >> LOL! Prove I do anything illegal, Will! But you can't, and you
    >> know what that makes you? A bullsh*t artist.
    >
    > Behave yourself Kurt - you never know what may happen!!

    I know you cannot back up your false accusation that I "do a lot of
    illegal things."

    What does the Ten Commandments call making false accusations against
    another person?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    J Tsuzuki wrote:
    > In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all
    > other Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it
    > is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
    > partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
    > of the COA issue.
    > In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
    > Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
    > I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
    > is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
    > concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
    > will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
    > FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be
    > applied?

    Yes, you can easily create a dual-boot scenario, if you like.

    For conflicting language versions of operating systems, and the
    hiding of one's partition from another, I've found System Commander
    from V-Communications very useful, in the past.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    You don't install from the first XP.
    Install using the second XP CD. Just make sure that the first install is
    recognized and the second XP installs to another partition.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>
    >> J Tsuzuki wrote:
    >>
    >>> In Win XP's Help, MS states that Win XP supports dual boot with all
    >>> other Windows, DOS and Linux but XP. I want to know if it means that it
    >>> is technically impossible to set up dual boot with two XP's in two
    >>> partitions or if it means that we can use only one copy of XP because
    >>> of the COA issue.
    >>> In my case, I bought one XP of English version and another XP which is
    >>> Japanese version, each carries, naturally, respective COA. In this case,
    >>> I don't foresee problems as long as the boot.ini file in the primary XP
    >>> is correctly edited. Am I missing important information? But I am still
    >>> concerned about file systems. If I install both version of XP with NTFS,
    >>> will there be incorrigible problems? Do I need to assign NTFS to one and
    >>> FAT32 to the other? If so to which one (Partition 1 or 2) NTFS should be

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks
    peterk

    the problem
    "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > You don't install from the first XP.
    > Install using the second XP CD. Just make sure that the first install is
    > recognized and the second XP installs to another partition.
    > --
    > Ron Sommer
    >
    > "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    >> The way to set up a dual boot is to install one version of XP on One
    >> partition and make sure it works.
    >> Then from within that version of XP do a new install of XP onto another
    >> partition.XP will create the necesary boot.ini file as well as rewrite
    >> the MBR on the original partition.The key word here is NEW
    >> installation,you tell it where to install to.
    >> The computer will boot off the 1st partition and give you a choice of
    >> which XP to start with...so be sure to know which is which...name the
    >> installation directories differently.This also means that if you were to
    >> format that 1st partition you would not be able to boot without doing a
    >> "repair" installation.
    >> Good luck
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    >> about the problem
    >> "J Tsuzuki" <jtsuzuki@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for prompt response. The Microsoft's article about Multibooting
    >>> with Win XP, however and I already stated, does not refer to the pairing
    >>> of two XP's and accordingly I still do not have information about the
    >>> feasibility of XP-XP dual boot as well as required file systems if it is
    >>> possible.
    >>>
    >>> Here is what I have understood so far:
    >>> In a dual boot computer, it will start by going to the primary (active)
    >>> partition as it normally does in a single boot computer and then read
    >>> boot.ini file in the primary active partition. This file in the dual
    >>> boot computer contains information of both OS's if written according to
    >>> correct formula. Then it will offer choice menu for a desired OS.
    >>>
    >>> What I do not know and want to know is whether the Win XP's design will
    >>> rejects or ignores when it sees in the boot.ini file the presence of
    >>> same XP installed in another partition, and/or whether the primary XP
    >>> rejects or ignores when it sees the usage of the same file system such
    >>> as NTFS in the other XP.
    >>>
    >>> If anyone has sure kno0wledge about these aspects of dual booting,
    >>> please let me know.
    >>> (Who needs the same XP in two separate partitions? In my case, one is

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thank you very much for providing information on this subject.

    With your helpful information what I did is as follows:
    1) I loaded Win XP Home supplied by Toshiba in the form of "Recovery
    Disk". This CD gives no choice but to install the OS using the entire HD
    (one partition.) It also offered no choice in file system but NTFS.
    2) I resized the installed partition to about half of the HD capacity
    using a partition manager (In my case 7Tools Partition Manager). This
    step was based upon previous contribution of Ron Martell to help Terry's
    posting to this NG on December 15, 2004.
    This change resulted in a few error messages at reboot, but, at the
    fourth reboot, dust settled and the Win XP Home worked apparently
    normally using the reduced HD space.
    3) Then I inserted the Win XP Pro (Japanese version) and proceded for
    installation. It recognized the previously installed XP Home and asked
    where to be installed and with which file system. I naturally selected
    the remaining unpartitioned space and, whith some hesitancy, I chose
    NTFS. Then a new partition was created using the remaining space,
    formated and installation continued. The intermediate reboot already
    showed recognition of the other XP.
    4) When finished, I got the dual boot system which is same as dual boot
    with different versions of Windows.
    5) I now know there is no restriction for dual boot in terms of version
    of Windows and type of file systems.

    My experience should be helpful to people who desire to set up
    dual/multi boot without wiping out an already installed OS, that is, by
    resizing the used HD space. This is in contrast to the "official way" by
    MS which requires prepartitioning. This should be especially helpful if
    one happens to own Toshiba Satellite.

    Thank you very very much to all responding to my question with helpful
    information.
    J Tsuzuki
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I would like to add one piece of information to your test that worked.
    You "MUST" install the English OS first before the Japanese version. If you
    install the Japanese version of XP into the computer and then try to install
    English it will screw up the Japanese OS already installed, thus the method
    you used of installing the English first and then the Japanese worked.

    I have ran into that problem around 10 times and finally figured it out,
    English first then another language.

    Glad you were able to get it working though.

    Jon

    --
    MCP
    Honolulu, Hawaii

    "J Tsuzuki" wrote:

    > Thank you very much for providing information on this subject.
    >
    > With your helpful information what I did is as follows:
    > 1) I loaded Win XP Home supplied by Toshiba in the form of "Recovery
    > Disk". This CD gives no choice but to install the OS using the entire HD
    > (one partition.) It also offered no choice in file system but NTFS.
    > 2) I resized the installed partition to about half of the HD capacity
    > using a partition manager (In my case 7Tools Partition Manager). This
    > step was based upon previous contribution of Ron Martell to help Terry's
    > posting to this NG on December 15, 2004.
    > This change resulted in a few error messages at reboot, but, at the
    > fourth reboot, dust settled and the Win XP Home worked apparently
    > normally using the reduced HD space.
    > 3) Then I inserted the Win XP Pro (Japanese version) and proceded for
    > installation. It recognized the previously installed XP Home and asked
    > where to be installed and with which file system. I naturally selected
    > the remaining unpartitioned space and, whith some hesitancy, I chose
    > NTFS. Then a new partition was created using the remaining space,
    > formated and installation continued. The intermediate reboot already
    > showed recognition of the other XP.
    > 4) When finished, I got the dual boot system which is same as dual boot
    > with different versions of Windows.
    > 5) I now know there is no restriction for dual boot in terms of version
    > of Windows and type of file systems.
    >
    > My experience should be helpful to people who desire to set up
    > dual/multi boot without wiping out an already installed OS, that is, by
    > resizing the used HD space. This is in contrast to the "official way" by
    > MS which requires prepartitioning. This should be especially helpful if
    > one happens to own Toshiba Satellite.
    >
    > Thank you very very much to all responding to my question with helpful
    > information.
    > J Tsuzuki

Dual Boot Microsoft Windows XP