New HDD, now computer won't start. power problem?

DigitalDragon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Alright, here's my basic rig right now:

Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard
2x SLI 6600GT
AMD Athlon 3200+ (I think, its around the 1.8 GHz range but I forgot which exactly which model processor it is)
Random Asus Sound Blaster! card (3 years old or so)
WD800 80 GB hard disk (IDE)
1 CD-RW drive
1 DVD drive (both are quite ancient)

Now here's the problem. After running out of space on my HDD, I've decided to get a SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB 16 MB cache Hard Disk. I've read that you can use both IDE and SATA drives at the same time, so I'm planning to install Windows on my new HDD and use the old one as my repository for older files, etc. So I install the darned thing, only to have absolutely nothing happen when I flip the on switch (no startup, no fans). the light on the Mobo is on, showing that the electricity supply is still on and I know the power switch connectors are still alive and kicking. I've removed the Mobo battery to clear the cache and after doing that and removing the new HDD my computer starts up again.

Now I'm not a computer expert though I do assemble my own, and I would like to ask if this sounds like I don't have enough Wattage from my power supply and that the new HD is the culprit. I currently have a Antec type power supply running at 450 Watts. With the kind of rig that I've just listed, would the new HDD take up enough power to overload my entire system? I'm going to experiment some more, but I would appreciate it if someone could have any answers on here while I try.

DigitalDragon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Quote from my last paragraph:

"
Now I'm not a computer expert though I do assemble my own, and I would like to ask if this sounds like I don't have enough Wattage from my power supply and that the new HD is the culprit. I currently have a Antec type power supply running at 450 Watts. With the kind of rig that I've just listed, would the new HDD take up enough power to overload my entire system? I'm going to experiment some more, but I would appreciate it if someone could have any answers on here while I try."