removing stock video cooler

bobbillhoff

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i have an 8800 gts (320mb) and was thinking about removing the stock cooler to add a new one. anyone know any good guides on how to remove the stock coolers? I tried it before but there were so many random screws i didnt know which ones i needed to take off

thanks!

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
When you purchase the aftermarket cooler for your 8800 GTS it will come with instructions telling you exactly what to take off. Nobody could tell you anything much better than that. Google it, maybe you can find a video guide.

its as simple as removing all the screws on the back and carefully(make sure you get all the screws, a broken card would suck) taking the heatsink off(there will be some resistance as the heatsink thermal paste will have stuck to the gpu....so take it slow...)

As said any after marker cooler tells you just how to take it off..

Also make sure you have heatsinks for the ram(not sure how much effect is has since my OCZ rams spreaders are not even touching all the chips and it still works fine...but video card ram is faster...) and any other warm components like the voltage regulation system. this should be in the after market instructions as well.

With the 8800 heatsinks not being loud i would not even bother replacing it unless you want to over clock to the moon. thats another story(with the fact that the core and shaders are linked....so you have to be careful..and maybe even flash the card....danger 8800....danger....)