IDE drivers conflicting with Windows

DestinPs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I have an older machine with IDE input for Hard drives, I was running out of space on my 40gb so I bought a 250 gb hard drive. I found out that my machine can only support up to 127gb of that so I started looking for ways around it and came across a webpage(won't post don't know if direct linking is against the rules) The webpage basically talked about 48bit IDE controller and how it's required to get past the 127gb barrier. So I downloaded some generic Universal drivers and the HD showed up as 250gb, awesome. But the bad thing is I could still only use 127gb of that, if i tried to partition anything more, it would freeze my computer. So I decided having these drivers were worthless if i could only see how much I was wasting, decided to partition a 125gb storage drive and revert back to my old drivers.
This is where I made a mistake I guess, because i reverted back to my old drivers, restarted windows, and got BSOD, repeativly. So i ran windows under last known good configuration and it loaded up with the Universal drivers ( i suppose). The only problem with it now is that everytime i restart I get BSOD and have to run under last known good config to start windows. I tried reverting back one more time, uninstalling the drivers, pretty much everything I can think of and it just gives me BSOD's on start up.
I even got BSOD's using last known good config and was trapped in never ending Blue screens for about 10 minutes before it randomly decided to work (I guess i reverted back past the problem).

Is there anyway to get rid of those Universal drivers and install the regular ones again? I've tried following the uninstall directions for regedit from the webpage but it won't let me change some of it, and some of the values are just completely different than what the website says.

What version of Windows are you using? You may have to just refresh your windows install. It is important know what version of Windows you are using, because the problem MOST likely is not your motherboard or controller, it is Windows itself if you are using a pre-2000 SP1 version.
If the motherboard is the problem, (you have Windows 2000 SP1 or later) you will need a program called a "Dynamic Drive Overlay". (jeesh, it's been a long time since I had to use one of those)

DestinPs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Windows xp pro SP 2

Sorry, i was restarting, i literally have 4-6 blue screens before my computer will actually start up, it seems to hang right when windows starts and then it starts up randomly one time.

My computer has been overclocked for a year, is it possible that it could just now be causing this problem? Should I reload defaults in bios?

DestinPs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Well i reinstalled the messed up drivers (Universal ones) and so far no BSOD on start up, but I'd still like to be able to revert back to my old drivers one day, I can make due with these for now though.

gent

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
48-BIT LBA support is already built into SP2, it will be enabled automaticly (on install) if you have drives bigger than 137Gig; it can also be enabled (after install) by a registry key (search MS web site, or this forum), you should NOT need to down-load any divers!