2 connections conflicting?

pandx

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I've got 2 connections on my computer, one is a wireless and another wired. The wireless works as my WAN which connects off my wireless PCI adapter to a wireless router. The other works as a LAN which connects my computer with 2 other computers via the LAN ports in another wireless router. The wireless is switched off on this router. Now comes the problem, it seems only one of them can be working at any one time, and not together. I have to disable my LAN before I can surf the net, and to access the LAN, I have to disable the WAN connection. What settings should I configure in order to avoid the conflict?

ThAnKs!

sacdan

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
They have to be on seperate subnets. For example, 192.168.1.0. Change one of the Network Connections to a different subnet.

pandx

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Hi, sorrie I'm quite a noob to networking but where do I change this setting? Is it under the TCP/IP properties inside the subnet field? It is 255.255.255.0 at the moment.

Thanks!

bob the goatgod

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
This seems like a DHCP issue. What happens when both the LAN and the WLAN are on but only one computer is on? Test with both computers.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you are reciving DHCP on both adaptors that means you are probably getting two default gateways. Only the interface that points towards the internet should have a default gateway. You will want to change to a static IP address on your LAN connection and leave the default gateway field blank. I'd be happy to post how to do that just let me know what OS your system is running.