Would appreciate some advice

akelkar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
Hey all

I finally decided on all the components of my new machine. evga 680i, evga 8800GTX, thermaltake armor full w/ side fan, q6600. Prolly a 750W power supply.

Right now, I'm having a hard time deciding what cooler to get. I know that the thermal right 120 Ultra extreme is the best air cooler. Its also very expensive. Now, I've just read about people having trouble fitting their ultra Ex on their 680i, or it not being very effective, or that it benttheir mobo. Now I just dont know what to do. Should I still go ahead and buy it? What other alternatives are there that will actually fit my mobo? the scythe ninja, it seems, will not fit my mobo or that it blocks two of the ram slots because of its size. Though it is cheaper. I really would prefer not to mess around with the heatsink (other than lapping it). I really would prefer not to mod it or the mobo to get it to sit on my Q6600.

Are there any cheaper alternatives which perform as good. I've seen the chart at anandtechs. Believe me, I've read it so many times in the past couple of months that I have that article memorized. I still dont know which one is good for my mobo/case setup.

So what other options do i have? Or will the ultra extreme fit on this mobo, no problems. Theres too much conflicting information around. (or I'm just plain stupid) :).

Thanks y'all!

akelkar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
It looks like the TR 120 will NOT fit in the TT case with the side fan. Thats confirmed. Neither will the Tuniq Tower. Might just get the case without the side fan. Its cheaper too, wont blow dust onto the mobo and gfx cards.