Why is my PC always beeping in Standby?

rennervision

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I was considering the idea of leaving my PC on all the time and using Standby to save power. However, this is currently not an option for me due to one annoying problem. It seems to power down and wake back up just fine. But whether I use an S1 or S3 suspend state, the LED display on top blinks and the internal speaker beeps incessantly while on Standby.

I suppose it's possible the case is not wired right, but I'm leaning more to the notion that something needs to be disabled in my BIOS. I can't seem to find any such option however. I'm using an ASUS A8V motherboard inside a Raidmax RX-9 GT case. Short of disconnecting the lights and speaker, does anyone have any suggestions?

chowner

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
I think you wired something wrong. I would make sure the front panel connectors are going to the correct pins on the motherboard.

rennervision

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Yep, that was it. :D Looks like the LED connection came with a special dongle so half plugs into the motherboard and the other half plugs into the power supply. I kept that thing in a drawer full of spare cables, never knowing what it was for. I've had the LED plugged directly into the MB for over a year and never even knew it was wrong!

Thanks for your help.