G92 Just an update?

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I just read this article at Digitimes

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070829PD216.html

It states that the G92 and G98 is just an update of the 8 series. Does this mean there will be little to no performance increases from this. If so, many people who are waiting to upgrade, might as well do so now if there won't be that much difference. If anyone else has other reliable articles on this, please post them below. I enjoy reading them.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I think they will be the 9 series with names like 9800, 9600. etc. however, this is gonna confuse the heck out of n00bs who will think we are talking about the old raedon series :)

Apparently, they are only making updates to the hardware and they will not be significant enough at this time to beat the 8800gtx. That is just speculation though.

According to the article, the G98 will replace the gts and the G92 will replace the 84-86 series.

I don't think we will see any price drops soon since they don't have anything that will compete with the gtx right now. Maybe the gts will drop $20-30 but i bet not much more than that

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
DAMNIT JEDI.

i hope it hits 200....

just a refresh? so it will be called 8850GTS? or what?

AMD needs a refresh......

another round to Nvidia. *sigh*

they should name the "9xxx series" if they decide to call it the 9xxx series the "G9xxx series" kinda like what ati did with its "x1xx" series.

btw any word on the new 7 series chipsets?

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
The last word I heard (apologies for the unintentional rhyme) was that ATI isn't planning anything new (R700) until earlier 2008. But I will be disappointed if they don't have anything for the holidays considering how far behind that will put them.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
i think AMD has an ace up their sleeve that they're just not sharing until around holiday season (i.e around november same as nvidia) that will just blow the GTX out of the water.

as for not refreshing the GTX i think nvidia is right.

if it ain't broke why fix it?

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
According to the article, the G98 will replace the gts and the G92 will replace the 84-86 series.

actually jedi it says that the g92 wil replace the gts and the g98 wil replace low end..it will be the same scheme as G80 and past generations

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
basically, no one knows anything about anything anyone is doing because they won't tell us oh yeah, and at the bottom of that article I couldn't help but notice it said Nvidia wasn't available to comment, which to me sounds like they are making stuff up

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
The way I look at it is this: If an 8800GTS lets you play all the games at the same quality (or better) as the games released on the xBox 360 and the PS3, the developers won't bother making many improvements to PC games. Therefore, if you get a card now, you will be happy with it until the PS4 and the xBox "720" arrive. So, you may have a card that is 2x more powerful by waiting 8-9 months not having any fun waiting for it to be taped out, released, then another 8 months with crap drivers, then pay top dollar for that card as well, doesn't make much sense to me.

Look at it this way: I got Oblivion IV today for $29.99 to use on my 8800GTS 640 with great textures. I saw a few aisles over the PS3 version for $69.99!! At those savings it doesn't take to long before any videocard becomes "free" with savings like that on each game you buy vs. gaming on consoles, not to mention I do work on my PC. Many people could write of hardware purchases on their taxes as a "business expense" too, you can't write off a PS3 in many cases unless you were some gamer cafe or something. Plus you can play FPS with M+KB, you don't have the hardware vendor dictating what your preference should be like the xBox 360.

My .002: Grab a great card, grab great games when they fall in price (doesn't take very long on the PC side of the game aisle), write off your computer on your taxes if you can, and start to enjoy!! When your card dies from too much use and enjoyment, I am sure you won't feel bad about making a purchase on that 9800 WHEN it comes out and the drivers work :)

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Opps, your right. Thanks for catching the mis quote.

As for ATI having something up their sleeve . . . I doubt it. They have trailed for too long. They would say it or someone would have already leaked it.

theuprightman24

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007

Spot on!!!

Thats the best thing anyone has written about the G92.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Seems like AMD is working on OEM channels with low end stuff to get the bread and butter coming in... Wouldn't count on anything groundbreaking from them for at least 8 months-1 yr.

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

You have a point about the games being cheaper right now, but there is NO WAY you will keep up with consoles by buying a video card at the same time a new console is released. I bought my PC in about 1.5 years after the release of the PS2 and I can't even play the latest games (Bioshock, Oblivion). This isn't to mention the price of having to buy the rest of the parts (even with a great new card my P4 3 GHz would bottleneck) for my PC to keep up with the newest games.

I'm not trying to start a PC v. console debate, but you can't just buy a new video card each console generation and think you can play all the latest games.

theuprightman24

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007

Your going to have to think out side the box on this one lots of ifs and lots of buts and really haven't got the time to cover it all.

But the basic answer is:

PCs are continuously upgraded -- as in CPU, RAM and MOBO -- happening behind the scenes so the GPU is slotted into an already up to date(ish) PC.

Also 1 and a half years in PC terms is a long time and not mentioning the corresponding changes in the console world.

IMO consoles have the mass market and thats where alot of money in gaming lies so as the consoles games improve so does the PC (relative).

The point that Falken699 is making is that the next giant leap for gaming will happen when the PS4s or Xbox760s of this world are released because PC games are pretty much relative to console games (remember I am talking giant leaps here). So your Geforce 92 series might have 8800 x2 power its not really going to be used to full potential - thus save your money and enjoy yourself now.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
the enquirer says "Well, we can tell you that this rumour is nothing else but a bit of good old FUD", I just find that funny because they have produced some much BS over time that it is hypocrisy in its essence

The GTS having little change as the article suggest wouldn't the 65nm allow a higher clock and place a question on the top GPU's? If a GTS gets an additional 100~200MHz both the GTX and Ultra 80nm GPU's could be in for a major challange. I bet the GTX design will move to 65nm around december so Nvidia can milk it for all its worth. An additional 100~200MHz on the GTX would be pretty good. Then again Nvidia traded information with Intel so it could be 2 GTX GPU's on a single 65nm chip done the kentsfield way.

DJ_Jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007

This is CLASSIC!!! :lol: :pt1cable: :heink: :whistle:
I can't believe that the Inq is actually calling someone else's reporting FUD! I never thought I'd live to see the day that the pot would call the kettle black in this situation. Wow, what's next? The Inq reports: "Investment Bankers-Thieves and Swindlers adding no value but yet raking in BILLIONS"???? This is the first item I've ever seen from the Inq that gives me a glimmer of hope about the credibility of the Inq's reporting. Well, you know what they say, though... you can shti in one hand and hope in the other and then see what you're left with, huh?
About the speculation on the new g90's... you know that the definition of stupid is repeating the same behavior over and over again and expecting a different result, right? What happened the last time the threads started getting deluged with "R600... we got the first STOCK pics and ONLY the Inq got to test it!"????? :non: I mean, come on... until the demos go out and you start seeing official reviews, stop even reading this drivel because it's just a bunch of BS to get more page hits for their advertisers. We've all been duped before by this crap, don't start it again with the Phenom/Barcelona/G90 round of FUD. Guess what? I heard on BULLSHIT.com that the new G99 chip is going to be running at 3GHZ, with 30Ghz GDDR20 RAM with a 1024-bit bus!!!! No, seriously!! Here's the link!!!!:
www.bullshit.com/INQsucks/FUDZILLAsucks/nomorebullshit/g99chipstatsfromyourmom.html

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Getting back to the orginal question, Is there any other information out about this topic? Being 2 months away, I would think there would be more than just the occasional article full of speculation.