Sign in with
Your question

Running 8GB of RAM on Vistax64

Last response: in Memory
August 30, 2007 4:07:56 PM

I recently built a new machine with 8GB of RAM with Vista 64-bit. This is the first time i have used 64-bit technology of any kind, and my first time using over 4GB of RAM on any machine. I cant seem to get Vista to recognize all the the RAM though, it only recognizes 3199 MB of it :sweat:  . I have updated the BIOS and this has not made a difference. Any one have any thoughts or know of a way to get Vista to see all of the RAM? I am sure of the motherboard's compatability.
a b } Memory
August 30, 2007 4:38:20 PM

I've heard (but can't confirm) that the Vista-64 DVD comes with Vista-32 as well. Are you sure you installed Vista-64? It *sounds* like you're running into the 32-bit memory limitation.

Anyone else know of a way to verify what's installed?

-Wolf queries
August 30, 2007 4:57:49 PM

Wolfshadw: to verify you can right click the 'computer' link in the start menu and click properties. It'll show system type.

JTUnderwood: Have you installed all the drivers for your motherboard? is there a setting in bois to enable more ram? im not really experienced in using that much ram but those are some things that come to mind that you could check...
Related resources
August 30, 2007 5:09:10 PM

Since it only recognized 3199 MB, tt does seem like it is behaving like Vista 32 bit - so the suggestions above are the best to try first.
If still an issue, have you tested memory and slots by trying only 2 sticks at a time and testing different slots?
August 30, 2007 5:12:18 PM

jtunderwood said:
I recently built a new machine with 8GB of RAM with Vista 64-bit. This is the first time i have used 64-bit technology of any kind, and my first time using over 4GB of RAM on any machine. I cant seem to get Vista to recognize all the the RAM though, it only recognizes 3199 MB of it :sweat:  . I have updated the BIOS and this has not made a difference. Any one have any thoughts or know of a way to get Vista to see all of the RAM? I am sure of the motherboard's compatability.

If it's only recognizing 3.2GB, I'm afraid that isn't Vista x64.
August 30, 2007 5:44:39 PM

Heyyou27 said:
If it's only recognizing 3.2GB, I'm afraid that isn't Vista x64.

Agreed.

You probably installed the wrong one on accident.
August 30, 2007 5:56:59 PM

Hi,

look for "Memory remap" in the bios, set enabled.

August 30, 2007 10:23:25 PM

Yes, I am quite sure i installed the right copy of Windows Vista. :p  Any other suggestions about what may be wrong? Anyone's suggestions would be a great help, thanks!

djbrad007 i will be sure and try that too, just want to see what others think while i do.
August 30, 2007 11:03:00 PM

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. I too have Vista x64, but I don't have the money or the need for 4+GB of RAM to test out that particular feature...

-mcg
August 30, 2007 11:42:43 PM

Enabling the Memory remap worked! Thanks a bunch! Only problem is now my system is hanging outside of safe-mode... could this be from the newly recognized RAM? or is it more likely to be something else?
August 30, 2007 11:42:56 PM

jtunderwood said:

Make sure all your memory sticks are the same kind and density. Check settings in the bios also. let me know if that helps.
August 30, 2007 11:45:52 PM

Have you tried to see if using just 4GB works properly?

-mcg
August 30, 2007 11:53:02 PM

Well, the 3.2 GB works just fine, and all of the sticks are the exact same (4*2GB) and safe mode runs fine which leads me to believe it is something with software in Windows but i don't know what that would be...
August 31, 2007 12:16:47 AM

I have disabled the memory remap and gone back to the 3199 MB of RAM and my system runs fine. What could the problem be with running the full 8GB of RAM? Any ideas?
August 31, 2007 12:48:43 AM

Does your motherboard support 8gig's of ram? My motherboard only supports 4gig's.
August 31, 2007 12:55:39 AM

Yes, as i said before, my motherboard does indeed support 8GB of RAM.
August 31, 2007 1:12:24 AM

Try taking 4gig's out, try bootting into windows, if you get into windows shutdown, install the 4gig's, try bootting into windows. If that dont work try reinstalling windows. Hope this is of help!
August 31, 2007 2:14:35 AM

jtunderwood said:
I have disabled the memory remap and gone back to the 3199 MB of RAM and my system runs fine. What could the problem be with running the full 8GB of RAM? Any ideas?

You might have one (or more) bad stick(s) of RAM. Run Memtest86 to check.
August 31, 2007 2:40:01 AM

Good idea... only problem is the .exe doesn't run on Vistax64 and i don't have a floppy drive on this machine so i cant do it any other way (can i?). Do you know of another diagnostic tester like that that would work in my situation? Thanks.
August 31, 2007 2:51:32 AM

boot from your dvd drive with memtest on it.
August 31, 2007 3:44:43 AM

jtunderwood, what's the type and make motherboard you are running
August 31, 2007 3:54:06 AM

Using an ASUS P5W DH DELUXE Intel Motherboard. I have checked compatibility on the Asus web site.
August 31, 2007 4:10:22 AM

jtunderwood said:
Good idea... only problem is the .exe doesn't run on Vistax64 and i don't have a floppy drive on this machine so i cant do it any other way (can i?). Do you know of another diagnostic tester like that that would work in my situation? Thanks.

As IcY18 said, boot from your DVD drive.

In this case, burn the ISO to a CD or DVD, restart your computer, and run it.
a b } Memory
August 31, 2007 4:24:24 AM

There is a 4gb patch for Vista 64. Have you loaded it?
August 31, 2007 4:31:36 AM

I have heard of such a patch on another forum, but the user said that it did not help. I may have loaded it in the process of updating Windows in general, but i am not sure. I have gotten Vista to recognize the 8GB at this point though, i just need to stabilize it at this amount of RAM. Could that help? (I don't know.) If so, could you give me the link?

killerb255... in the process of trying that.
August 31, 2007 4:50:56 AM

jtunderwood said:
Using an ASUS P5W DH DELUXE Intel Motherboard. I have checked compatibility on the Asus web site.

AHHAAA!!! I also have a P5W-DH motherboard and have had the very same trouble, only 3199 Megs (in BIOS) of ram using 4 gigs of Crucial Ballistix. When I switched to OCZ Platinum rev 2 then the full 4 gigs showed up. This is close enough to your situation to show that it IS a problem between your ram and MB. I've been there....

There have been other memory issues with the P5W, when I switched to a P5K then all the memory worked all the time.

I should add, check the memory amount in BIOS during bootup. If it's 3190 there then NOTHING you do in Vista will increase the ram amount.
November 29, 2008 8:44:36 PM

To all who are running into the 3.2GB limitation. Windows Vista x64 Service Pack 1 fixes this issue. I would recommend updating accordingly. Also be sure to check all other applicable concerns: motherboard / Vista IS x64... and so on.

Best of luck.

Chris
November 30, 2008 4:01:06 AM

Hello, I'm a Mac.
And I'm a PC.
PC, rather than advertising. wouldn't it make more sense to fix Vista's problems?

So = SP1, eh?

And do we think "mem remap" is required for clean install?

Neat thread - kinda like "guess where I hid the 4.8 gigs" :) 

And did the stranger disappear without a thank you like so many before?
April 30, 2009 5:51:28 PM

Test the sticks of ram 1 by 1, if starts fine, Disable the onboard Graphic card, then Reclock yor ram to the less speed if 800Mhz > 667 > 533, up latency ftom 2.5 to 3, use sprectrum center, find Memory hole option in bios, set to Enabled, Save and restart, In windows If 64 Bits, and yo upgrade your Bios, Find the upgrade drivers for that Chipset NV,Inel,Via etc, install it, and OFF line the PC ( Turn off the power o disconnect from electrical line ) Then install the others sticks of memory, 1 or 3, Now the bios IF show 8GB of ram, windows64 must say 7,xGb of ram same amount MB of Ram shows hidden or reserved, In windows 7 if reserved for the hardware plus the shared memory may shows 6GB of ram if you Are using 8 GB of ram whit hybrid sli of 512MB.
Don t worry, If that works, you may change the speed memory to default.
Bye, And Gooood luuuk.

(Ravenloft, From Argentina) :sol: 
!