sadness20

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
I have 120mm fan it has 3 pin and 4 pin molex connecter but my mother board has different type of 4 pin connecter for cpu fan, where can i get that? or should i just plug the 4 pin molex to my power supply?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
4 pin motherboard connection is backwards compatible with 3 pin fan connector. If you use 4 pin Molex, fan will be fixed at max speed(and noise) and motherboard will have to have fan speed monitor disabled or will sound alarm for fan not detected.

Mike.

crumble114

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Sorry for asking a question in your thread, but, if you used the 3 pin fan connector, does that mean the fan wont be able to run at max speeds then?

sadness20

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
mike some one told me if i connect the fan to 4 pin molex connecter from psu i should be able to controle the fan speed. i am confused, my case have 5 fan should i plug those fan into my mobo?i dont see anymore fan connecter in my mobo then cpu fan connecter.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
mike some one told me if i connect the fan to 4 pin molex connecter from psu i should be able to controle the fan speed. i am confused, my case have 5 fan should i plug those fan into my mobo?i dont see anymore fan connecter in my mobo then cpu fan connecter.
Only if fan has its own controller (like Zalman) Motherboard socket allows mobo to control speed. What motherboard? Very unusual to only have CPU header!

Mike.

sadness20

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
my mother board has this

4 pin CPU_FAN
4 PIN SYS_FAN2
3 PIN PWR_FAN
3 PIN SYS_FAN1

so currently i have 5 case fan and one cpu fan, which plugs goes in to my mother boards?

what is hell is north bridge fan header? it says on the manual connect the north bridge fan cable to this header.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Best to plug CPU fan to motherboard and let mobo control fan speed(put supplied controller to max). That gives Speedfan a display of speed plus motherboard may well sound an alarm if fan fails! Some PSUs have a 3 pin connector which can be connected to PWR_FAN, this allows motherboard and Speedfan to monitor the PSU fan speed. The case fans can be connected to the PSU and run at constant full speed.

Mike.

eastknoll

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
What did you find out about the North Bridge and the owners manual instruction to connect the North Bridge fan cable to the header? I have the GA-P35-DS3P too and have not crossed this request before.

4 pin CPU_FAN
4 PIN SYS_FAN2
3 PIN PWR_FAN
3 PIN SYS_FAN1

so currently i have 5 case fan and one cpu fan, which plugs goes in to my mother boards?

what is hell is north bridge fan header? it says on the manual connect the north bridge fan cable to this header.[/quotemsg]

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
sadness20 wrote :
what is hell is north bridge fan header? it says on the manual connect the north bridge fan cable to this header.
The northbridge fan just like it says a northbridge fan. Your mobo probably has a passive heatsink there anyway but retained the fan header. Unless you want to put a 40mm 10K rpm fan on it, you should be ok. Or just route another case fan there.

TRENDING THREADS