nolfclvr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Hi all,

Ok... so first of all, I'm using a 350w power supply when my graphics card clearly stated it 'required' more than that. The computer has run fine ever since installing the card.

My hard drive started randomly clicking and freezing every few seconds or so, and eventually locked up windows. I can no longer get into windows, but the drive is still recognized by the BIOS.

I called seagate, and they believe that my drive has been damaged by a lack of power to the heads... quite possibly damaging them.

My question to you is, does this seem logical? Wouldn't my video card show some kind of symptom due to a lack of system power... before my hard drive?

Also, assuming the drive is dead (I still have to run diagnostics), would a new power supply (500w) help me avoid this issue in the future?

On a side note, Seagate doesn't do advanced RMA's to Canada, so I have to find some way to backup the data I have on the 'dead' drive. My other drive is strictly storage, and nearly full. So I can't boot into that one and backup. Suggestions welcome!

thanks in advance!

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Obviously not since you are having problems with your hard drive now. How old is the hard drive? For how long did it start making clicking noises before it totally freaked out?Try running the diagnostics on the drive and see if you can backup your data.Good luck.