Sign in with
Your question

2 embarrassing questions

Last response: in Motherboards
August 30, 2007 9:20:27 PM

a bit embarrassing since i am a coder but i never asked the right questions about memory so i never understood and still dont understand the speeds etc.
im trying to rebuild this old machine with tight pockets

looking at this mobo
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

i just bought 2gb of DDR 333 SDRAM
to be exact http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

the standard mem on that mobo is DDR400 and im hoping its backwards compatible to this DDR333

I have also just got a new power supply and taking for granted it will be a 20+4pin but its only a 20pin

1. would i be able to use that DDR333 on that mobo?
2. will a 20pin PS run a 24pin mobo?

thanks in advance

More about : embarrassing questions

August 30, 2007 10:06:58 PM

1. You should be able to use the ram, but if you can try to RMA it and trade for the correct DDR 400 ram. Otherwise you will throttle the capability of the motherboard. Newegg lists a 2x1 set of Corsair DDR 400 ram for $99.99, which would be slightly cheaper than the 4x512mb set that you now have. That would give you a 1T instead of 2T timing on the ram, it would cost less, and give you better performance than what you now have.

2. I don't think so. RMA the psu and get either a 24 pin or 20+4 pin psu. You didn't mention the brand or power of the psu, but I would suggest one from Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, or Thermaltake. Hyper also makes a good psu.
Related resources
August 30, 2007 10:08:21 PM

nice, im being tortured with 26.4kbps dialup so i limit the searching i do to prevent mass homicide

i have used a 20pin PS on a 24pin mobo befor and it did run but i had alot of problems with it *may just be cause it was a epox* and i only threw it togehter because i had to write a resume
August 30, 2007 10:14:27 PM

i cant return the mem since it was a couple months ago and the packaging was prolly thrown out.. better to specify what this machine is for..

this machine is for my parents house to run a DVR survalence system, the mem isnt a big deal
!