Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5B hangs up

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2007 12:43:52 AM

I have a very strange problem... this is my machine, bought and mounted by parts:

- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2GHz
- Motherboard: Asus P5B
- Memory: 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 800MHz (2 modules of 1GB each)
- Case: Antec NSK6500 (includes a 430W PS)

The problem is that when I power on the machine, I begin working with Windows XP SP2... everything is fine, I only use emule (downloading very fast, at 400KB/s) and Firefox to read some webpages.

Ok so... randomly, unexpectedly, boom! The screen goes blank, the monitor led changes from green to orange (as it was receiving no signal), and the machine becomes completely hanged up. I try to activate the Caps-Lock and the keyboard led is not responding, I push the reset button and it doesn't reset... solution: push the power button for 4 seconds and start again...

The CPU temperature keeps stable at 40C, there is no overclocking. All BIOS overclocking options are in auto, I have SpeedStep activated, and C1E activated.

Does anyone know a similar case or has an idea of what's happening?

I have thought about the power supply... but 430W for emule+firefox seems to me more than enough, what do you think?

By the way, my graphics card is an ASUS EN6600 Silencer (with no fan).

More about : asus p5b hangs

August 20, 2007 1:53:04 AM

My first thoughts would be psu is it possible to test with another?
August 20, 2007 1:56:52 AM

Mmm... I have no other PSU here, but I'll call the shop tomorrow because I bought it a few days ago.

Meanwhile, I have come around with a test that ALWAYS restart my computer... it's related with audio:

- I start a music generation application called Sony ACID Pro 6, and load a song into it.
- I start another similar application called Mackie Tracktion 2, and load the same song into it.

Then... boom!! The computer restarts abruptly as I pushed the physical restart button.

Could this be related with my problem?
Related resources
August 20, 2007 2:18:39 AM

I'm not sure if that would be related to the problem.

Try stress testing with orthos or prime95 for the CPU and Memtest86 for the ram. Might be a fault somewhere that causes the comp to hang.

If it passes those tests then it may be something software related? I doubt it tho.

What program are you using to monitor temps? I know asus probe will give you odd results, use coretemp or speedfan.

HTH

August 20, 2007 10:37:23 AM

I'm using Everest to monitor temps.

It's very strange... as the hangs occur randomly. I'll try the stress tests for the CPU and memory, although I've already tested the CPU with 3Dmark06, and the graphics tests were ridiculously slow, they were 2 or 3 FPS!! Is this normal? My NVidia card has the latest drivers installed.
August 20, 2007 11:58:36 AM

I've tried Core Temp 0.95, and these are the temps I get:

Tjunction: 100Cº
Core #0: 44Cº
Core #1: 46Cº

Are they correct or too high? Maybe it's an issue related with temp?
August 20, 2007 12:23:41 PM

I've just passed TAT and I think I have a little high temps... maybe this is the cause of hangs? could you give me an opinion? I want to clarify that I have NO overclocking. Everything is in auto, with the Intel original heatsink (and the thermic paste it had).

Temp in idle:

Temp with 100% CPU workload:

What do you think?
August 20, 2007 4:19:42 PM

Wow those load temps are pretty high for an Intel processor.
I think those 3DMark06 fps' should be a bit higher with a Geforce 6600.
Those images say the processor is a Pentium M. But it's an E4400 as you said. Maybe the mobo thinks it's the wrong processor and puts too much voltage and that is the cause to those instabilities and high temps? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
!