p5n32-e sata to ide crash - how bizarre!

jond

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I have an asus p5n32-e sli board, with an e6750 and 2gb of ram. Whenever I copy a large volume of data from my sata dvd drive to my ide hard drive, the system totally freezes - windows locks, ctrl+alt+del and all other forms of input cease to work, all activity comes to a stop. This is an intermittent issue - sometimes it will be at 20% of 5gb, others 50%, others 80% and sometimes never.

Intuition told me the dvd drive is faulty, but it works perfectly in another system. It's not the hard disk that's faulty either since I can sucessfully carry out the tasks with a different, ide dvd drive. Further tests showed that copying from the dvd drive to a sata disk works without issue. There's a general rule here that ide to ide is fine, sata to sata is fine, but sata to ide causes a system crash.

My drivers are up to date, but I've not worked up the confidence to do a bios update and have yet to try it in linux. I had windiag test my ram for two hours and there was no issue there. Any ideas?

P.S. In the Asus Probe tool I see a fluctuation on the 12v power every so often. Is that normal?

G

Same here! Exactly the same board, we even have same cpu (though that is probably not causing the problem). Sata disk works fine. Ide disk works great. Sata -> Ide = random freezes. Tried different bios updates, every windows version I came accross, it does not metter which drive you boot from, it's just driving me insane!