Dual boot for XP & Vista using raid 0 & partition or 2 drives not raid

Hi,

I plan on rebuilding my machine this month and have two existing Raptor 36GB that I want to use for the OS/System drive. For my OS, I want to create a dual boot between XP 32 bit and Vista 64. I need XP so I can use my video capture/editing software. Everything else I hope I can use Vista 64 Home Premium, but of course XP will be there if I need it.

So would it be a better idea (performance wise) to setup the two Raptors under Raid 0, then partition them into separate drives to create a dual boot config with vista 64 and windows XP 32bit. Or just keep them as separate drives in non-raid array and install one OS on each. Not sure what others are doing here.

I could even install the various programs on the opposite OS drive that I plan on using the program on. Not sure if this would help performance wise, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I also plan on getting two nice drives like the WD 400GB HDD setup as Raid 0 for data/video capture.
3 answers Last reply
More about dual boot vista raid partition drives raid
  1. Bump. Hope someone can comment. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm thinking of just keeping it simple and install them as separate drives (non-raid array) and installing each OS on each separate drive.
  2. For booting Xp & Vista, I perfer the 2 HDD approach. Me I installed XP pro on a pair of raid 0 drives, disconnected - Then installed Vista on a 2nd pair of Raid 0 drives. This way I don't have the MBR problem should I want to remove one operating system. I just enter bios and select which disk to boot from. (I think F12 durning booting would also let me select. Also With this method - no software involved.

In your case I would opt for non-raid and install Xp on one drive and Vista on the second, You can still partition either, or both drives. I Like Operating system/programs on one drive/partition and data/files on the 2nd.
  3. Sounds good to me. Thanks for the info.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Dual Boot Windows Vista Windows XP Storage