Sign in with
Your question

Dual boot for XP & Vista using raid 0 & partition or 2 drives not raid

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2007 9:44:47 PM

Hi,

I plan on rebuilding my machine this month and have two existing Raptor 36GB that I want to use for the OS/System drive. For my OS, I want to create a dual boot between XP 32 bit and Vista 64. I need XP so I can use my video capture/editing software. Everything else I hope I can use Vista 64 Home Premium, but of course XP will be there if I need it.

So would it be a better idea (performance wise) to setup the two Raptors under Raid 0, then partition them into separate drives to create a dual boot config with vista 64 and windows XP 32bit. Or just keep them as separate drives in non-raid array and install one OS on each. Not sure what others are doing here.

I could even install the various programs on the opposite OS drive that I plan on using the program on. Not sure if this would help performance wise, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I also plan on getting two nice drives like the WD 400GB HDD setup as Raid 0 for data/video capture.
December 7, 2007 3:38:37 PM

Bump. Hope someone can comment. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm thinking of just keeping it simple and install them as separate drives (non-raid array) and installing each OS on each separate drive.
a c 353 G Storage
December 7, 2007 4:52:49 PM

For booting Xp & Vista, I perfer the 2 HDD approach. Me I installed XP pro on a pair of raid 0 drives, disconnected - Then installed Vista on a 2nd pair of Raid 0 drives. This way I don't have the MBR problem should I want to remove one operating system. I just enter bios and select which disk to boot from. (I think F12 durning booting would also let me select. Also With this method - no software involved.

In your case I would opt for non-raid and install Xp on one drive and Vista on the second, You can still partition either, or both drives. I Like Operating system/programs on one drive/partition and data/files on the 2nd.
December 7, 2007 5:43:48 PM

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the info.
!