FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
pretty much...for the most part all the new high end graphic cards are PCI-E however you can find like a X1950 AGP version...

IMO it would however be smart to just save your money and buy a whole new rig since most AGP Motherboards are old P4 systems..and theres Dual and Quad core..

next format to die is IDE/ATA its already not supported by at least intels chipset and the motherboard manufactures have to add support for it...and now with most disk drives coming out SATA..yeaa its on its way out also.

How can it be considered dead when amd/ati have just released thier latest cards HD2400/2600 and you can get an AGP version?
I do think this is mainly to cater for people with old machines that can be turned into HTPCs
But as i have said before the X1950XT is about the 4th/5th fastest card that exists at the min and can be had for an AGP system there has only very recently been games released that it cant fully handle but thats only that it dosent play the DX10 content which i couldnt care less about or vista for that matter.
Just check out some posts on this and other forums and i think you will find a lot of guys who know what they are talking about will say get a 7950 or 1950 instead of a 8800gts/gtx purley on value for money.
So no in my mind its not dead yet but its definatly on its way out,just latley it seems that the manufacturere are slowing up on making them as they have been harder to get.
Mactronix

rockyjohn

Distinguished
They are dead because I don't think you will find a single system manufacturer puting AGP slots in new builds.
Off course the GPU manufacturers are happy to keep making cards while people want to pay to upgrade old systems.
Manufacturers are slowing up on making them because few a buying them. Retailers don't stock many because few are buying them. Because they are "pretty much" dead as FatFunkey said.

So logically then if as you say manufacturers are making less because the retailers are not seeing the demand for them then the reduction in supply wouldnt be noticed?
But it is being noticed as i said in my last post there are alot of people on posts here and other sites that want them but cant get them so it clearly has nothing to do with demand and a lot to do with companies fasing them out.
As you say of course you wont see them in new builds but they are still very capable of doing the job so are not "dead".
Mactronix

firestorm31

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
ok, thanx for the replies.

I'd been wondering about the format. I hadn't been keeping up with the computer hardware over the last 7 years since I built my last machine.

I've noticed that most of the AGP units are mostly from Nvidia chipsets.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

You're right there but there are some existing systems that are not yet useless and are still built on existing AGP motherboards. For some reason this topic gets hotly debated but I'm still of the opinion that there are some cases where one last AGP upgrade could make since.

Example: one of my older systems is a skt939 opty 175, k8neo2 motherboard(AGP), 2 gig ddr, 850xt. The 2600pro agp I linked to would not be a real upgrade on that machine but if a the future holds a higher performing AGP dx10 part it would be a chance to extend that machines life some more.

That msi card would also be an excellent opportunity for a machine like my opty 175 to be reincarnated as a HTPC.

To NO1sFanboy
You make the same point with the same argument that myself and others try to put to the AGP haters (sorry but there is no other way of describing people who refuse to even acnowledge a logical argument put to them) on a regular basis on this and other forums but im afraid you like us are wasting your time these people refuse to see any aplication for an AGP card even when you point it out for them.
I myself think that the conversion to a HTPC was the reason why you can get a 2600 card in AGP.
Mactronix

rockyjohn

Distinguished

1. "Then the reduction in demand wouldnt (SIQ) be noticed" False. Manufacturing can be driven by customer demand and yet there can be discontinuations and shortages experienced by consumers. Your statement assumes perfect knowledge by manufactureres and retailers and highly variable stocking by retailers. Retailers do not carry all cards - they carry those most in demand and carry the largest supply of those in most demand. They have limited shelf and storage space. So they do not carry all cards but make decisions based on demand - thus not stocking cards - like many AGP cards - with low demand. Or they may stock fewer units and thus be more likely to run out of the cards. Further, manufacturers will produce shorter runs of the cards and may stock few if any themselves, which can result in temporary supply shortages. Manufacturers also stop making cards before demand drops to zero. So some AGP models are discontinued and some series or cards dropped entirely. Each change can mean a temporary disruption in the supply chain. Actually there are quite a few reasons that even though manufacturing decisions are driven by consumer demands there can be temporary reductions in supply of some cards and discontinuation of others. Manufacturers that don't adjust to demand don't stay in business long. But that does not mean they supply every demand of customers - they make profit maximizing or satisficing decisions based on market demand. And that includes dropping goods that have low demand - even if they have some demand. Your argument is specious.

2. "As you say of course you wont see them in new builds but they are still very capable of doing the job so are not "dead". You are quibbling about the definition of dead. As you noted, I made it very clear that when I said they are "dead" it is because no new boards are using them but only people stuck ordering them because they need replacements or upgrade for an AGP. I was careful to define what I meant by dead. It is very disingenuous to assume a different defintion and then use it to try to prove me wrong. Your attack on my statement is very misleading and wrong.

To rockyjohn
I find it very sad that you should take my post as an attack on your statement i was mearly putting a counter argument to your statement.I posted nothing inflamatory nor did i assume anything or try to mislead anyone i mearley posted my opinion on the subject of the post.
You however posted this
"It is very disingenuous to assume a different defintion and then use it to try to prove me wrong. Your attack on my statement is very misleading and wrong."
So thats.
1 you calling me disingenous :pfff:
2 You assuming i assumed something you have no evidence of :non:
3 As i said not trying to prove anyone right or wrong just posting an opinion :)
4 I have re-read my post and cant see how it can be called an "attack" :(

As i said i find it sad that you feel as you i am very carefull of how i post and quite frankly was about to put an appology in but really fell that i have no reason to you started with the inflamatory assuming and misleading stuff.
Mactronix

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I went into considerable detail proving that your argument was very wrong. But my focus stayed on your statements. You are the one making it personal with the "I find it sad" statement twice - very personal and patronizing.

1. Your statement was disingenous, as I explained before. If you disagree, then perhaps you should state some facts in support instead of just listing it as part of your whine.
2. You say I have no evidence of your assumption. It is implicit in your statements. You argue that manufacturers are creating shortages and not following consumer demand and this is proven because of shortages. But this is only true if you assume that the only cause of shortages is if manufacturers don't follow consumer demand. If there are other reasons for shortages, then your statement does not prove anything and is misleading. I listed many obvious other reasons for shortage. Now I see that part of the problem is either you don't understand your own argument or your analytical skills are very weak.
3. You say you are not trying to prove me wrong? Your comment, which came right after mine, started "So logically then if as you say" and you go on to propose your argument as to why my statement was wrong. I have no objection at all to someone trying to show my opinion or me is wrong. But please don't lie and say you are not.
4. You don't see how your post was an attack on my statement? Please not that in my post I did say "attack on statement" - "statement" being a key word left out in your post. From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary definition of attack : "to set to work on <attack a problem>". You definitely set to disprove my statements and opinion and advocated the exact opposite. Again, I have no problem with that and think you are over-reacting here.

You are the one misleading not me. You mislead as I showed before in your original post and you are misleading again.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
dis·in·gen·u·ous /&#716;d&#618;s&#618;n&#712;d&#658;&#603;nyu&#601;s/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dis-in-jen-yoo-uhs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere: Her excuse was rather disingenuous.
You didnt prove anything except that you dont like being told you are wrong(there you go read back that is my first "statement" aimed directly at you)
Havent seen any facts in your posts either thats called hypocritical
Manufacturers dont always follow consumer demand some products have a life expectancy built in to them and when target profits have been met they are pulled i have personal real life first hand experiance of this so please dont insult me further by trying to tell me how manufacturing works when you clearly dont
This is the full statement you edited in point three to try to prove i was trying to say yiou were wrong
So logically then if as you say manufacturers are making less because the retailers are not seeing the demand for them then the reduction in supply wouldnt be noticed? Can you see the question mark that means its a question,not an argument guess its not me that has weak analytical skills.

I come to this forum to try and help people not engage egomaniacs like you so willl not be responding to this post further as you have degenerated it in to a pointless argument.
Mactronix

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I stand by my original posts that showed your misleading statements and lies. All I have done is address the issue and respond to your misleading statements.

All you have done with your above post is admit that you are a liar. In your second post you wrote:
"As i said not trying to prove anyone right or wrong just posting an opinion"
Above you admit:
"You didnt prove anything except that you dont like being told you are wrong(there you go read back that is my first "statement" aimed directly at you)"

Your childish name calling ("egomaniacs") clearly applies you and not me as you are the one making repeated personal attacks and can't accept that I proved your statements wrong from the start. It is also a reflection of immaturity and misplaced anger that flows through your later responses.

They say that first intuitive thoughts are usually the best and you should have followed yours and apologized.

Your posts have degenerated into pointless arguments and I do not intend to waste my time responding to your continued misleading diatribes.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Wow, that would be an awesome HTPC! Surprisingly, IMO, that system still kicks some serious butt. I would probably do the same thing that you mentioned if I had that pc.