Have I got a bad Q6600, or is this OC temp increase normal?

surgeklick

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
Using a Antec 900 case and Tuniq Tower with AS5 my normal Q600 (B3) temps (monitored by core temp) are around 38 idle and 55 under load. With a small OC from 2.4ghz to 3.0 my temps are around 46 idle and were at 74 after a few minutes of prime95 before I stopped it to avoid damaging my CPU. That's a really big increase in temp increase under stress. Voltages haven't been touched from stock.

From what I've read, this isn't a normal temp increase but many people now use G0 stepping. Is this normal with the B3 stepping? Have I just been unlucky to get a particularly poor part for overclocking?

Sparky6string

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
With a Tuniq Tower that's too high. Re-seat the Tuniq and pay attention to the amount of thermal paste you used and how it looks on the processor, decide if you used too much or not enough. After that see what you can do to lower voltages.

Are the core temperatures pretty even? Are the temps you list with the Tuniq Tower's fan on high?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
surgeklick, the following explanation, spec's and temp scale for your Q6600 B3 are from the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

If temperatures increase beyond Hot Scale, then ~ 5c below Tjunction Max, Throttling is activated. The Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) are used to trigger Intel`s TM1 and TM2 technologies for frequency, multiplier and Vcore Throttling within individual Cores. If Core temperatures increase further to Tjunction Max, then Shutdown occurs. Since Tcase indicates CPU Die temperature only, it is not used for Throttle or Shutdown activation, however, Tjunction Throttle temperature is ~ 95c, so Tcase would be ~ 85c, which would far exceed Tcase Max. As Tcase to Tjunction Deltas are constant, Tcase Max is always the limiting specification for temperatures.

Scale 4: Quad

Q6600: Tcase Max 62c, B3 Stepping, Tjunction Max 100c, Vcore Max 1.372, TDP 105w, Delta 10c

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--60--/--70--70--70--70-- Hot
--55--/--65--65--65--65-- Warm
--50--/--60--60--60--60-- Safe
--25--/--35--35--35--35-- Cool

You may want to follow through the calibration procedure in Section 9 so that you can use SpeedFan to monitor the more critical CPU temp (Tcase) as well as your Core temps (Tjunction). Also, check your Q6600 Integrated Heat Spreader and the Tuniq Tower Heat Sinc for flatness. A large percentage of Q6600's have been released with either convex or concave Integrated Heat Spreaders, but I have no information concerning the quality control of the Tuniq Tower Heat Sinc.

Comp :sol:

northshorefiend

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I have a Q6600 G0 on an ASUS P5W64 WS motherboard with DDR2-800 crucial balistix.

I am not trying to overclock, just trying to get a very stable platform to compile code on all day and night.

Problem is I get the BIOS bleeping at me telling me the CPU is overheating.

If I boot from cold, looking in the BIOS the CPU temp is 58C.

I have no windows licence, so I can't give any details using windows tools, this is a gentoo linux machine!

I have only the stock intel cooler on, that I verified all clips were secure this morning. (snaps clearly heard at all corners)

I'm very dissappointed that after 2mins of compilation I get the BIOS bleeping.

I have 120mm inlet fan at the bottom of the case, 80mm exhaust under the PSU, 80mm exhaust over the EN8600 Silent. I have another 120 inlet for the front I haven't mounted yet.

Seems to me 58C is too high for doing nowt in the BIOS?

Any advice on what is wrong?

deranged

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
It sound like your voltage is way too high or the heat sink is seated incorrectly...1 of the two or both. What does core temp report as the voltage?