did i break something?

guitarxe

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
i have an AMD 64 X2 3800+ on a gigabyte mobo, and i have this tool called EasyTune that lets me OC without the bios. well i just tried increase my speed from 2.00 to 2.40 ghz (20%), and i got the BSOD error. after i rebooted, my computer hard froze on desktop, and kept freezing every time i would reboot it and after i gave my computer a long time to 'rest off'.
i started windows in safe mode and used the system restore function to get my computer working again, but how do i check to see if nothing has been 'broken'? i tried to start up EasyTune while in safe mode so i could see if my PC is still at its original speed or above it and that perhaps thats giving me the problem, but the tool didn't launch and kept giving me errors such as:
"something something about winNT driver either missing or corrupted and so can't start"

should i reinstall any drivers to be sure that everything is fine?

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
that was your first ocing? Reset your mobo and start windows in proper mode. reinstall easytune and start it up again if it starts fine without the warning. Nothing should be broken if you can still start up fine

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Funny things happened when you oc if you dont know what you are doing. Reset your bios. You will find in your motherboard manual on how to reset your bios. Dont use easytune go to bios if you want to oc.

totenkopf

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Look for instructions on how to clear your cmos. Please do a little research before mucking around with OCing ;) you probably didn't break anything so don't worry too much. read some OC guides and listen to itotallybelieveyou about OCing in your BIOS, not with easytune!

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Not much user choice in EasyTune (what a pain), so stop using this and over clock in BIOS. If you don't know how to clear CMOS, going into BIOS and set what you can back to AUTO, or if in doubt, load default settings.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
seriously, don't use software to OC, I know it seems easier, but its not, and once you've gotten past the fact that everything in your BIOS is that blue colour of doom, its actually quite easy to change settings - and if i were you, I would research what the FSB, what the multiplier, and the method to find the actual speed you'll end up with is before trying again

totenkopf

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Well, Abit's uGuru works pretty damned well for OCing... saves me a lot of reboots and has not failed me once! I like uGuru but I can't comment on anything else!

j_waylec

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I used to run the same CPU before I upgraded. Mine was socket939, unclear if youv'e got AM2 or S939, anyway they are more or less the same thing. Go into the bios and find the 'Advanced' section where clock speeds etc. can be changed. Change the following:
1: FSB Frequency: Should be 200 default. Change to 240
2: Vcore voltage: Should be Auto. Change to 1.45v
3: Memory Frequency: Should be 400. Change to 333. (Dont worry the O.C will automaticaly take the RAM back up to 400 beacause the memory frequency is linked to FSB, so higher FSB = higher memory freq!)
4: Hypertransport Multiplier: Should be Auto, Change to 4x

I used this configuration for about 2 years 100% stable...

One more thing NEVER O.C using software! BIOS or forget it!