Explorer crash

sometimes I make a klick with the right mouse button on a file (to send a
file as an email or open it with any program e.g.) in the windows explorer
the windows explorer crashed an windows want to send an error report to
microsoft. Immediately I want to do repeat the same procedure the same thing
happend. After I termitate the explorer process in the taskmanager and start
it manually again, it works for awhile again, until the same thing happend
than.
What could be the reason for it. I am very angry about it.

Michael

Malke

Michael Kauert wrote:

> sometimes I make a klick with the right mouse button on a file (to
> send a file as an email or open it with any program e.g.) in the
> windows explorer the windows explorer crashed an windows want to send
> an error report to microsoft. Immediately I want to do repeat the same
> procedure the same thing happend. After I termitate the explorer
> process in the taskmanager and start it manually again, it works for
> awhile again, until the same thing happend than.
> What could be the reason for it. I am very angry about it.

The most common reason for problems with the right-click context menu is
that a third-party program (or programs) have put entries into this
shell extension that are incompatible. To troubleshoot this, get the
free ShellExView program from:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all the non-MS right-click extensions using the program. Enable
them one at a time, testing after each. All troubleshooting must be
done methodically.

Many people also experienced right-click problems with certain codecs,
such as DiVX, after applying Service Pack 2.

Here are some additional links to help you:

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -

Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
Windows XP SP2 - http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

Slow right-click and other issues -

Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
objects - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Mike Box

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Thanks very much. I had been experiencing same very frustrating problem but after downloading the ShellExViewer utility I narrowed down the problem to two "Photoshop Icon Handler" files whicj I have now disabled which seems to have instantly solved the problem. Also it has stopped the lengthy delays I was I experiencing with image file thumnails which took ages to write whenever I clicked on a folder (albeit only coming up as small & @ low resolution thumbs) whereas now they are almost instananeous. This posting has avoided me the time and effort of re-formatting my hard drive which I had seriously been considering as my only option!!!! Thanks very very much. Mike Box