side panel open on case

sharp910sh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
i have realized when i open my case, take of the side panel the cpu runs much cooler, im getting 12/11 degrees. with the side panel open. and 22 degress with the side panel closed. hmm what up with that? i have the p180b case. and a e6850. seems like im better of with the case open right?

There is something wrong with your sensor if your cpu is running at 11 degrees. There is no way it would run that cool unless maybe your were setting outside during a blizzard. Even 22 degrees is very low. Normally, a "cool" running CPU would be in the mid 30's to upper 40's (c). Think about it, what is the air temperature in the room?
Your cpu would never be able to run lower than the air temperature in the room (unless you had some type of refrigerated cooling system)

sharp910sh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
well, its about 15 degrees considering the window is open. i think you are right its pretty cold outside. but ive closed the window and open the case again and the cpu temp is dropping to 12 degrees again. hmmm, and its warming up in my room

seems like im better of opening the case rather than buying a cpu cooler. save 20 quid.

22 degrees with the side panel closed, if correct is still a very low temperature and leaves you a long ways before you need to start worrying about cooling. As I said, idle at low to mid 30's and under load to upper 40's, even low 50's is quite normal and perfectly fine CPU temps.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
If you're seeing that big a difference between open and closed, it means the ventilation in the case is poor. Are the exhaust fans set on high? Did you install an intake fan in the upper chamber? IMO the upper chamber in a P180 needs an intake fan for good ventilation.