So I hooked my desktop up to my 57'' DLP HDTV

texan1337

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
It's running in 1080p and is pretty stunning.However, the screen dimensions stretch beyond the size of my monitor, so I can't see the start menu or the left and right edges...????. I have an 8800 GTS graphics card, and I'm running Vista 32 bit, and I'm typing on it right now from my couch :)

texan1337

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
nah, i'm a grad student so it's simple to get large students loans. took out one for 20k to deck my place out. need to get laid, but that aint gonna happen if the screensize is off ... what should I do, do I need another type of video card?

ineedausername

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
OMG, I can't believe people are that rude. The guy needs help with his overscaning issues which he can use the invidia control panel to create a resolution to fit his TV. Its not that expensive anymore to own a 1080P projection TV. Why is he a prick? Rude people.

What resolution are you running at, and what is your screen capable of, it may be that the screen is only 1080p (1920x1080), and not 1920x1200 which is a std PC resolution, you may have to define a custom res if it is not available.

Having just done a bit more digging it seems that 1080p is 1920x0180 (i've corrected it above) and wouldn't fit with your issue of things being off to the sides.

Perhaps then the projection part of the dlp is over-projecting onto the screen? thats my thoughts on the matter.

eladtan

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
I had the same problem with my LCD TV and I easly fixed it by changing the aspect ratio on my tv from 16:9 to pc.
How this helps for you.

texan1337

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Yes, it is running at 1900x1080. You're probably right about the overprojection. Interestingly it projected fine under standard resolution before I switched to Hi Def. Thankfully I have keyboard shortcuts to all of the missing items on the desktop -- it makes my vista sidebar look like crap though :(

First off, taking a student's loan to pay for a big-@$$ TV is, in my humble opinion, pretty stupid - how will you pay for said studies?
Next, when a LCD screen doesn't go black, it is pretty much a given that there's some overscan somewhere, and on the part of the TV - otherwise, even analog connections are able to tell the card that the screen can't deal with the range (refresh rate/dimension).

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
A guy asks for help....give it or go find a chat room.Have you tried it at a lower res.?whats the natural res. of the hdtv?Thats a very intresting question and hope to see a definate answer,looking forward to doing that myself.gl

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
2 things

Does the tv have a hdmi input

if so did you use the lastest drivers, the vista on hd tv has worked for a while - xp drivers have only just started to work correctly on hdmi with my 32 inch mirai.

Vista drivers got it right from about the 3rd or 4th release - before that it was blurry on both os's.......

HB

Captain_Soviet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Try changing the aspect ratio on your tv. On my 40" Samsung 1080p TV, I had to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to "Just Scan" using the P.Size button. Just flip through the different aspect ratios until you find one that works well.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I think he was being sarcastic, it's a guy thing. [:zorg]

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Jealousy brings out the worst in people.
I hope you solve the issue mate, I have no idea.
BTW does it make that much of a diff to not see the startup button...I mean you can swith to regular def and work (when you NEED the task bar) and use hi def when running a game/dvd when you don't need the task bar.

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
my samsung 4061 wants specific resolutions at input from either hdmi/comp/pc and it was not happy till I resolved that. pick up that handy manual ans see what it says about connecting a PC...(LOL)...

oddly- dont really see how thats going to get you laid though. best of luck though

cheers

fantastapotamus

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
A lot of HDTV's come with used to come with overscan enabled. In the days of CRT TV's this made a lot of technical sense because some bad things happen at the edges of the picture so you just don't show them. This makes no sense on a fixed pixel display like plasma or LCD, however a lot shipped with it enabled anyway. Not sure about DLP, but I bet they have to overscan a little since it's a projected image that has to go through some optics. There's probably some bad things still happening on the edges. - Distortion, Light Fall-Off, who knows, I'm not an expert at this. It might be possible to disable it on the TV, but I doubt it. I've also heard that Nvidia had some sort of tool to help correct issues like this, but I'm not sure what that tool was.

fantastapotamus

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Forgot to add, If it's true that you paid for it with a student loan, then take it from me, a fellow student, you're a lot better off using that money to pay for school now, and then buying the expensive toys once you can afford them.

You mean to tell me you can't get laid being a grad student? Go to a frat party and hit on some freshmen. If you need or think that an oversized HDTV is what's gonna get you laid, you've got bigger problems than being dumb enough to pay for it using a student loan.

Nope, sorry. This guy gets no sympathy or help from me. I don't care how cheap HDTV's get, paying for it with a student loan because he thinks it will help him get laid is just pathetic!

The last thing I am is jealous of this guy. Between interest and the terms of students loans, this will be the most expensive TV anyone every buys. Makes me wonder if the guy knows how credit and compound interest works.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Chunkymonster I have a question for you:
Why do you care?
We (those of us who answered with REAL advice) cared enough about another persons troubles without judgement.
He did not ASK for sympathy.
If you think it is dumb to use a student loan to finance a TV then I guess you are much better off than he is and again should NOT care or comment. Why do you bring this negative aura to such a great forum?
Uncalled for and adds no value.
He may have done something that I TOO disagree with (financing with a student loan) but I will not criticize because I am not in his head, nor do I care about his financial situation. Let him go into debt, it is a great early lesson that may help him avoid going into more major debt in the future, and if not, then it does not affect me or you does it?
Keep your two cents if the only way you will use them is to drive it into someones head.
You get a life.

VDL

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
"...need to get laid, but that aint gonna happen if the screensize is off"

If the size is off, it's hard to get laid :-(