Intel prices going down anytime soon ??

r390gt1

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I've been anxiously waiting for prices to drop in the low end intel lineup.
I have my eyes set on a core i3 2120, which currently stands at $124.99. It's been like that for months and apparently not changing in the foreseeable feature.

Does anyone have any information on this, is there any chance prices will lower this month?

I need to buy it before August 28, so if I'm gonna be spending the same amount $$$, I'd rather have it now.

Thanks.

Solution
Yes this is a pet hate of mine, for years review sites have been telling us that smaller chips mean lower prices. Back in the real world the greed of the companies means this never translates.
They either stall development so that you are getting much less performance than would be the case, while still paying the same for what is I will agree a small performance increase at the same price point, but on a process where they get many more chips on the same wafer size.
Or you get a decent performance increase which you get over charged for in relation to what's actually gained.

It used to be that some value could be had by waiting for a generation and buying what is an upgrade for you but still older tech.

This approach is pretty...

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Use a credit card that has price protection which is still available on certain Citi credit cards:

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/amex-citi-chase-credit-card-price-protection/

although it does not apply to Internet purchases.

But seriously, $125. If it were to drop, how much really do you expect it to drop?
Stop torturing yourself. Eat some PB&J sandwiches for a week and save up your money

prices never drop the items just get replaced with newer models at the same price point with equal/higher specs forget about this waiting BS not going to happen

look at AMD or keep saving up, and seriously dont skimp on anything in the system especially not PSU/motherboard either

Yes this is a pet hate of mine, for years review sites have been telling us that smaller chips mean lower prices. Back in the real world the greed of the companies means this never translates.
They either stall development so that you are getting much less performance than would be the case, while still paying the same for what is I will agree a small performance increase at the same price point, but on a process where they get many more chips on the same wafer size.
Or you get a decent performance increase which you get over charged for in relation to what's actually gained.

It used to be that some value could be had by waiting for a generation and buying what is an upgrade for you but still older tech.

This approach is pretty much dead now as the companies cut off supply of the older gen stuff pretty quick these days and what is still about usually end up costing the same as or more than the newer stuff.

So end of line price drops when new chips are released ? No I think that as a whole the concept is extinct. The best you can hope for is that there is a sale on somewhere.

Mactronix :)

Solution

r390gt1

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Well I guess it makes sense, that explains a lot. Can't say I like this new trend though.
I think I'm gonna go to my local hardware store and get everything there tomorrow. Price is about the same as in newegg and I'll save on shipping :bounce:

r390gt1

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
The irony of it all ..... While checking my email later today I found a newegg promo:
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Aug-0-2012/72hoursale10/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081012&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081012-_-EMC-081012-Index-_-E0-_-All

needless to say I jumped right at it and got my i3 2120 for just 110 bucks. While I was a t it I also got the mobo and the 8g version of that very same memory XD

If I get the rebate on the mobo I'll buy an extra big heat sink for the cpu and go silent XD

Intel outsells their only competition (AMD) 5 to 1. Nope, I don't like the trend either, but imagine how much worse its going to be if/when AMD throws in the towel?

Glad you are sorted now. best to get it if you want it and can afford it these days.
Personally I have a budget for the performance I want. If its not there I don't but simple as that. It takes some restraint but it has served me well.
My PC can play any game I want and I have never paid close to £100 for a GPU. My currant 5850 was £85 delivered.
Just proves the deals are out there if you wait and look hard enough. It did help that saphire did a special on the cards ;)
Mine is an XFX that was on special.

Mactronix :)

TRENDING THREADS