Sign in with
Your question

Power supply confusion

Last response: in Components
August 20, 2007 10:28:12 PM

The first thing I did on this board was read through the faq's. I think i learned quite a bit, but still pretty confused as to whether my 500W powersupply is going to be enough. The biggest confusion comes in with the rails as my PSU has:

12V1 - 15A
12V2 - 18A
3.3V - 32A
+5V - 38A
-12V - 0.5A
+5 VSB - 2.5A

I am running a Gigabyte P35-DS3R with a E6750 processor, 2Gigs of ram, and a Evga 8800 GTS. There is also a SATA hardrive (320gb) and an optical DVD RW drive.

I plugged the cords in where necessary, the video card took up 2 of them. So far I am not having any problems, but then again I have not tried any new games on the system yet. If this is not enough then I don't want to risk messing up my system!

I went through the Extreme Power Supply calc Pro and it told me the following:

398 watts
+3.3 - 8.3 amps
+5 - 16.7 A
+12 - 23.9A

Does that work if my 12V are on two rails?

Anyways, I look forward to any advice you can give!

JerBu

More about : power supply confusion

August 21, 2007 1:50:15 AM

That psu could be overloaded if you place 100% load on it. You must also consider the effects of aging, which will decrease the performance of the psu as it gets older.

It will be fine for now, but I would be considering a new psu, which has more power to the 12v rails, before too long.

Another thing you can do to extend the life make it easier on the psu, is to split the power up between the two rails as much as possible, so that you don't overload the psu. And whatever you do, do NOT overclock until you get a new psu, unless you wish to risk damaging or destroying your psu, and possibly damage other components.

It would also be helpful if you had told us what brand the psu is.
August 21, 2007 5:21:59 PM

Thanks for the help. The current PSU is a crappy Best Buy brand called Dynex. I am going to replace it as soon as I can.

I don't have the PC-Power PSU's available here. But I do have Thermaltake, Enermax, Corsair, and OCZ. Can you recommend a good PSU that will take me through some future upgrades? I saw one from Corsair called the HX 620 that looked interesting.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
August 21, 2007 5:26:23 PM

I have two Corsair HX 620's and have had no problems at all so far. [:mousemonkey] +1 vote
August 21, 2007 5:27:32 PM

JerBu said:
Thanks for the help. The current PSU is a crappy Best Buy brand called Dynex. I am going to replace it as soon as I can.

I don't have the PC-Power PSU's available here. But I do have Thermaltake, Enermax, Corsair, and OCZ. Can you recommend a good PSU that will take me through some future upgrades? I saw one from Corsair called the HX 620 that looked interesting.

Here ya go:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088
August 21, 2007 5:55:35 PM

I am quite pleased with my OCZ 900MXS. Though in truth all of the brands mentioned make excellent units.

Scott

!