Which fan is newer / better?

ITomI

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hi, my antec 302 case comes with 2x Antec TwoCool fans and i'm looking to buy 2 more for the front, and have found the TwoCool or the TriCool with blue LEDs..

which is newer / better? and should I get one of those or should I get a SickleFlow coolermaster 120mm?

thanks

ITomI

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

EDIT: have found that the TwoCool is the newer fan which comes with the 302, the tricool came with the 300 and is older, so question is:

TwoCool vs SickleFlow ?

InvalidError

Titan
I like the tricool since they are nearly silent at low speed which is enough to keep my case reasonably ventilated most of the time and can easily be bumped to medium or high on an as-needed basis.

I doubt there are any major differences between the two models (two/tri-cool) apart from the number of available speeds.

ITomI

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

I see thanks, I'm looking for a quiet fan so maybe I will get two cool, anyone have sickleflow experience?

ITomI

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
If I got a sickleflow which has no fan control little clickers like the twocool I could still plug them into my mobo and control the rpm in the bios right?

InvalidError

Titan

If the motherboard's fan headers have voltage control, sure.

ITomI

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

As rock z77 extreme 4 mobo I have, will this do it?

I notice my CPU fan and chassis fan 1 slots are 4 pin yet my fans are only 3 pin, what is the 4th pin?

Chassis fan 2&3 are 3 pin so I think they may not be able to be speed control?

InvalidError

Titan
The 4th pin is for PWM modulation, the modern way of fan control.

It is possible to have speed control on 3-pin headers if the motherboard supports variable voltage control. Software like SpeedFan allow people to control those on boards that support this feature using a supported system management IC.