Sign in with
Your question

External hard drive error message please insert

Last response: in Windows Vista
December 25, 2010 7:20:36 PM

Hello,
I have an external hard drive for my laptop that is empty and I would like to store photos on it but when I click on it under my computer, it asks me to insert a removeable disc
a c 214 D Laptop
December 27, 2010 5:45:45 PM

You are probably not clicking on your hard drive. What icons do you see in My Computer? Does the hard-drive show up in the "safely remove hardware" icon? Do you get an autoplay message when you plug it in?
m
l
January 3, 2011 12:38:17 AM

hang-the-9 said:
You are probably not clicking on your hard drive. What icons do you see in My Computer? Does the hard-drive show up in the "safely remove hardware" icon? Do you get an autoplay message when you plug it in?

I just tried again now. Currently the Western Digital drive has a bue light indicating it is attached with a usb connection to the laptop but My Computer doesn't list it and neither does the safely remove hardware appear. I bought this a long time ago and there is a 5VDC place, is this supposed to connect to a power source also?
m
l
January 3, 2011 12:43:44 AM

All of a sudden the computer is recognizing it and I can access it now. It took about 5 minutes.
Thank you for your help!
m
l
Related resources
!