svchost.exe

How do you tell which of these svchost.exe are necessary and what is
actually using them? I have 2 "User name-" System, 2 network and one local.

I am just a bit concerned that something I do not want might use them to
call home.

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056

Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/svchost.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

In news:f_idnQYUTNiM61ffRVn-qg@suscom-maine.net,
Gordon Abbot <gabbot@mmo.net> typed:

> How do you tell which of these svchost.exe are necessary and
> what is
> actually using them? I have 2 "User name-" System, 2 network
> and one
> local.
> I am just a bit concerned that something I do not want might
> use them
> to call home.

This is entirely normal and there's no reason to be concerned. I
have five running at the moment, and there's nothing unusual
about that.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Gordon Abbot wrote:
> How do you tell which of these svchost.exe are necessary and what is
> actually using them? I have 2 "User name-" System, 2 network and one local.
>
> I am just a bit concerned that something I do not want might use them to
> call home.
>
> GA

It's perfectly normal to have several instances of Svchost.exe running
simultaneously.

A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314056

However, if Svchost.exe is using a large portion of your CPU
cycles, it may well have been "hijacked" by a worm, Trojan, or scumware.
To determine if this is the case, use your preferred antivirus and
spyware applications to scan for problems.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056

Tried the directions in the link -
1. Click Start on the Windows taskbar, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type CMD, and then press ENTER.
3. Type Tasklist /SVC, and then press ENTER.

but got a message that the entry was not a proper command. Also copied
it directly and pasted it and got the same error message. (I am familiar
with how to enter dos commands.) Changed to c:\ and tried it (was in
documents and settings). Same error.

Help appreciated.

win xp home sp2 with all the latest critical updates.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Windows XP Home Edition does not have tasklist.exe

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Windows XP Home Edition does not have tasklist.exe

So where do I go from here to find out what might be using svchost.exe?

Thanks,

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Hey Gordon,

If you do a cmd window and type in "tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq
svchost.exe" ", it will give you a breakdown of the svchost by PID number
and process.

Then you can follow the PID and end task it from task manager.

Gordon Rattray

Gordon J. Rattray wrote:

> Hey Gordon,
>
> If you do a cmd window and type in "tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq
> svchost.exe" ", it will give you a breakdown of the svchost by PID number
> and process.
>
> Then you can follow the PID and end task it from task manager.
>
> Gordon Rattray
>

> "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
>
>>Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>>

>>>Windows XP Home Edition does not have tasklist.exe
>>>

>>So where do I go from here to find out what might be using svchost.exe?
>>
>>Thanks,

Copied it directly and still got the error since Home edition does not
have tasklist.exe per Carey. So still in the dark.

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.