Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Software, Which one?

Last response: in Windows 7
August 18, 2011 6:30:52 AM

Hello,

So long story short, I was screwing around with linux and ended up corrupting a harddrive, and erasing the other. 2 Tbs GONE. Anyhow, I know not to touch Linux again, And Now Im stuck with a Fresh Install of Windows 7, and I'm at a loss for WHAT to Install in terms of software. I mean Just IDEAS, I mean I have winamp, bit torrent, notepad++, but what essentials do I NEED, I mean i game, do a little bit of productivity, but I need your help on decided what software do you use, Just WHATEVER it is. and Open-source is preferred, but It doesn't matter. I just need applications/programs, what do you use?

MrComputerTecho.
p.s. Not so Computer Techy now eh? :/ 

More about : windows software

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2011 7:14:29 AM

What you need depends on what you do. It doesn't help us recommending apps that you are never going to use.

Some obvious additions to your list would be:

Microsoft Security Essentials for AV protection.
VLC for video and DVD playback
Paint.net for picture editing
Audacity for audio editing and recording
LibreOffice if you don't plan to buy MS Office
CDBurnerXP for disc burning
Firefox/Chrome as an alternative to IE

All I can think of right now.
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2011 10:49:37 AM

Steam
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2011 11:34:50 AM

GPU-Z
CPU-Z
HWmonitor
HDtune
MSI afterburner
fanspeed
comodo firewall
m
l
August 18, 2011 11:41:08 AM

>So long story short, I was screwing around with linux and ended up corrupting a harddrive, and erasing the other. 2 Tbs GONE. Anyhow, I know not to touch Linux again

Yeah, this one time, I was learning to drive, and I hit a car, so I know not to ever drive again. Before that, I was learning to ride my bike, and I fell over, so I know not to ride a bike again. Before that, I was learning to walk, and I fell down, so I just crawl everywhere now. :) 
m
l
August 18, 2011 11:50:29 AM

I agree with the softwares some suggested. Plus I have some must have for Windows users:

7-zip: most powerful archive creation/extraction for Windows/Linux
CCCP: All codecs you'll ever need in one package easy to install.
CCleaner: Powerful yet simple cleaner, used for clear temps, recents, even registry
DVDfab: DVDrip, convert between video formats, burning DVDvideos, can even remove ads from movies.
Notepad++: Most powerful code editing software on Windows. Supports most programmation languages.
PCWizard: If you need to know what is in the belly of any computer, useful when in search for drivers.
Spybot S&D: The best software to prevent and remove spywares of any kind.
Unlocker: Can unlock locked files that happens so much on Windows.
m
l
August 19, 2011 6:46:37 AM

chedderslam1976 said:
>So long story short, I was screwing around with linux and ended up corrupting a harddrive, and erasing the other. 2 Tbs GONE. Anyhow, I know not to touch Linux again

Yeah, this one time, I was learning to drive, and I hit a car, so I know not to ever drive again. Before that, I was learning to ride my bike, and I fell over, so I know not to ride a bike again. Before that, I was learning to walk, and I fell down, so I just crawl everywhere now. :) 

Lol Yeah I know, I'm just going to buy a new harddrive, and use that for linux, and keep it seperate from my other two drives. I ain't going through that. and Thanks, all of you, Steam ovbs thanks, and Just a Question does Comodo Firewall make a big difference from the REGULAR Firewall? I already have cpu-z, gpu-z and MSI afterburner. but thanks again :D 

EDIT: So I've always used MPC for My Movies, and such. But is it better than VLC or Is MPC the better alternative, because everywhere I go people recommend VLC.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 19, 2011 7:28:46 AM

MPC=Media Player Classic?

I've used both; and VLC is a much more fully featured program, with options for network streaming, screen captures, additional plug-ins etc. But MPC is very good if you're only interested in playback of media files.
m
l
August 19, 2011 7:48:17 AM

Herr_Koos said:
MPC=Media Player Classic?

I've used both; and VLC is a much more fully featured program, with options for network streaming, screen captures, additional plug-ins etc. But MPC is very good if you're only interested in playback of media files.

Yup, Media Player Classic. Yeah well makes sense, I just always had a feeling that MPC was a more complete, although not polished i felt it was more (advanced) in the options it offered. But maybe I'm not looking at VLC right, cause i have it for my Macbook Pro, but Thats only because MPCs not for mac. But anyways Thanks for the heads up. Network Streaming, lol I didn't know that, I like that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 19, 2011 8:27:26 AM

Linux:
If Ubuntu is okay, you can install that using WUBI. It will then be installed on your drive as if it were a program and can be Uninstalled from your Add/Remove program section.

When installed through WUBI it modifies the boot menu so you can choose Windows or Ubuntu on a reboot and this is automatically removed if you Uninstall Ubuntu.

Best Antivirus IMO:
Avast free version (you may need to read the HELP section on how to modify your e-mail program settings to work. pretty simple). A nice female voice and popup tells me when it updates the software.

Firewall:
Windows Firewall is pretty good.

Office:
OpenOffice

Non-free:
Acronis True Image to make backup Images.

SSD's and Hard drives example setup:
1) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 (Windows and applications)
2) 2TB hard drive (STEAM games, BACKUPS, Media files, Downloads)
m
l
August 19, 2011 8:32:15 AM

I still need to get an SSD :/  lol. Another Quick Question here, I installed Comodo Firewall, and now Avast wont work, I usually have avast without Comodo. is there something i need to do? lol.

@phontonboy, so with WUBI is it like a virtual environment, or is it a FULL FLEDGED environment, with all ram, and no virtual stuff used?

BTW Thanks all for the suggestions :) 
m
l
August 19, 2011 6:29:13 PM

My must have list:
1) MS office
2) iTunes (apple.com)
3) WinRar (rarlab.com)
4) Mozilla Firefox
5) Skype
6) Total Commander (I use it for FTP)
7) Adobe reader
---------
optional:
8) Corel Draw
9) Adobe Designer Suite
10) Visual Studio
m
l
August 29, 2011 6:27:35 AM

Best answer selected by MrComputerTecho.
m
l
!