New Build, Planning on OC'ing, What's the best 2x2GB RAM for my Build?

nlraley

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Hey guys, I know this has probably been asked a million times on here but needing some advice. I've seen a lot of builds using the 4x 1GB Ram combos in machine builds intended on oc'ing their system, but I want to build a system around the possibility of upgrading to 8GB later on down the road and need some advice.

I plan on using the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping and looking at the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard as possibly being the mobo for the system. Will be running XP Home 64-bit most likely for the OS.

I've seen alot of people talking about oc'ing the q6600 up to 3.7GHz and it being fairly stable so I figured that would be a pretty good point to start at and aim for.

First time buyer/builder so this is all pretty new to me. Been trying to find out what's the best 2x2GB sticks out there to oc.

Main emphasis will be hardcore gaming.

Any advice? If there's anything else you need to know let me know. Anything else I need to know?

joewho

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Never heard of XP Home 64bit. You will want VISTA 64bit if planning on 4 to 8 Gigs of memory. If you can find it Mushkin makes a PC8500 4gig kit.

Mondoman

Splendid
If the main emphasis is hardcore gaming, you are probably better off sticking with 32 bit WinXP for now.
Also, the MB manual for that EVGA doesn't seem to mention any Memory Relocation function in the BIOS, which would be necessary for using 4GB or more RAM under a 64-bit OS.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

I am also planning on getting VERY high-end 4x1 gig DDR2 memory for my Asus P5B p965, future Yorkfield, Vista 64.
Ok, instead of making a new thread, I'll use this one.
I got DDR2 800 CL4 before, but that NEVER got to 400 Mhz without heavy overvoltage or using CL6.

Can the Mushkin PC8500 easily get 400+ Mhz @ CL4 without increasing the voltates? I assume the Mushkin uses the good Micron RAM. I'm willing to spend a lot for RAM if I don't need to spend hours scewing with it just to make it stable.
Thanks !!

TRENDING THREADS