New Mobo and CPU (Q6600 G0)

samst0r

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Right i'm about to order a new motherboard, CPU and memory. I currently have a AMD 64 3500+ and an Abit Fata1ty Mobo and 2GB of DDR ram. Could someone please check this spec to see if i've missed something :)
Also will I need any special cables that AMD motherboards don't use. What i'm about to buy:

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-5400C5 Dual Channel Vista Upgrade Gold Series DDR2 (OCZ2VU6674GK)
Abit IP35 Pro (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler (Socket 478/754/939/940/AM2/LGA775)

I've decided to buy 4GB of ram while its cheap and can only see it increasing in price as the manufacturers stop making DDR2 and start making DDR3.

Thanks in advance :D
Sam

Nice. Will you overclock? If yes, the Tuniq Tower is a great choice but that RAM isn't. If not, the Tuniq Tower is still useful, but you don't really need it.

That motherboard is good, I hear. That is, I read a few reviews and they were positive. No actual experience with it though.

Have you checked the memory compatibility list on Abit's site? It's safer to get PC2-6400 (DDR2-800).

Don't know if there is enough room for the Tuniq tower on that mobo. Mabe somebody has tried the combination and can help you.

If you're not on a very tight budget you should look at GA-P35-DS3R. It costs a bit more but it's worth it.

samst0r

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Right, I was planning on overclocking to about 2.8 / 2.6 nothing major, just so I get a little more performance.
Do you think i'd be best off, not bothering overclocking and getting rid of the TT heatsink or buying something like
OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Vista Gold Series DDR2.

Thanks for the advice so far :D

No problem :)

Yes to the PC2-6400, that's what I got myself. OK, mine is called OCZ Vista Upgrade, the one you suggested is probably a bit better.

I wouldn't bother overclocking, but that's just me. So far I've seen my Q6600 working at 27% on all cores only once, when I was compressing a DVD and some wav files and surfing and watching a movie, all at the same time. I don't intend to do that sort of thing often, I was just trying to see how fast my new toy was. When I see it reaching 95% and staying there I'll think about overclocking, but not before. You on the other hand may want to play Flight Simulator and I'm sure you'll see 100% there...

You could keep the TT even without overclocking. It can reduce noise and make the CPU last longer. Mind you, who cares if your Q6600 dies after 4 years without the TT or after 7 years with the TT, you'll upgrade before that anyway... (BTW, just inventing numbers here. Nobody has ever owned a Q600 for 4 years so far, of course, to verify this theory)