Are my voltages safe?

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
That's probably not a very accurate measurement. If you want to get a good value of what your voltages are on the +12v, take a multimeter and connect the red lead on the multimeter to the yellow wire on a spare molex and the black lead on the multimeter to a black wire on the same spare molex. That will give you an accurate reading of it. If it really is that high, it is way out of ATX spec and is potentially damaging to your components.

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
your voltages sound a bit too high or too low for proc if its not overclocked, its off by a minimum of about .02 volts, depending on the model, but it shouldn't affect the proccesor very much, as for 14.5V on the 12v line, ...

crazlunatic

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
what do you mean proc?

What would be stable voltages because I don't want to break my PC and I'm about to build a new one so I gotta be sure. To explain how important this is, my next PC will have a 400 dollar video card...

Thanks, and how to fix as well?

crazlunatic

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
so basically the readings are off because they are either:
1) inaccurate
2) accurate, which means i should pay more for a PSU next time

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Yes, as I said, use a multimeter as it is more accurate the software and BIOS. If the readings are accurate, you might want to get rid of the PSU as soon as possible as 14.5v on the 12v line is most likely going to damage something. Power supplies are as much quality as the wattage of the unit itself, so next time go for something from a good manufacturer like Seasonic, Corsair, Antec or Silverstone for example.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
You can get one at any hardware store most likely, probably even major department stores. Basically, they let you measure amperage, voltage and resistance. You'd obviously want to set it to measure voltage when you test the voltages.