New gaming system - Cooling, upgrades, optimization questions

JerBu

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Hi everyone

This weekend I put together my first computer in about 3 years, and I have some questions for everyone about it.

First off, here are the specs

Case: Apevia X-Discovery with top 80mm fan and side 80mm. 500W power supply
Processor: Core 2 Duo E 6750
Video: Evga 8800 GTS Superclocked
Ram: 2x1G kit of Patriot Extreme Low latency PC-6400
HD: Seagate 320GB 7200RPM 16mb Cache
Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Windows Vista Premium 32bit.

Ok, those are the specs. I basically got great deals on everything after I did a lot of driving and shopping around (and a lot of research here).

Here are my questions, and let me thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

1. Cooling: I haveheard from many people here that the 8800 GTS is going to run hot. I have two questions here: With my two fans and that case, do you think I am going to have enough cooling to have a good performing stable system? And I don't plan on doing much overclocking, but if I do, what would you recommend for low cost cooling improvements?

2. Upgrades: I have read great things about the video card, and the Mobo will allow me to expand to quad core and the new Intel chipset when it comes out. Do you see, or have you personally experienced any big limitations that I am going to encounter?

3. Optimization: I am running everything stock out of the box. If you have used any of the stuff I am using, do you have any suggestions for quick optimizations I could make for improved performance?

Again, thanks for your time, I look forward to hear what you have to say.

JerBu.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
You need to add a PSU too to that build, never run gaming/high-end computers on PSUs bundled with cases, they are cheap, low quality units (And apevia isn't exactly a brand known for making decent PSUs). For your system I'd recommend a Corsair 520HX or an Antec NeoHE 500/550. Maybe if you can find a ~$100 Seasonic M12 500 could also be choice (I doubt it though, those run for like $130).

1.) I don't think you'll have much problems with cooling, but IF it's running hot, then get a few more 92mm/120mm fans and set them around the case (Ghetto mod if needed).

2.) I don't know what you are referring to as far as limitations are concerned (All PC parts have limitations), but one thing you can be sure, there is no better motherboard out there at the moment for single-graphics card solutions than the GA-P35-DS3R.

3.) Yeah, install nVidia's latest drivers, even if they are beta ones, they are usually very stable drivers. Also try not to install too much crap (like a Mcafee or Norton protection system), usually it's too flashy, doesn't help much, and slows down your PC a great deal.