HR-03 ram heatsinks get really hot

capncrunk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
I have an EVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB, and have the HR-03 installed with the ram heatsinks stuck on with Arctic Alumina. I let ATItool run to find my max memory clock and at around 1000 MHz, I went and stuck my finger on the little heatsinks under the heat pipe. It seemed way too hot, but I've never done this before. Also I read of people pushing their memory clock rates to about twice that. I'm afraid that if I keep going till I see artifacts I'm going to fry it. Should I get some kind of thermometer and stop when the ram gets to a certain temp, or am I worried about nothing?

capncrunk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
I dunno, I don't have a ram temp sensor, I don't think. Nothing in Rivatuner was reporting the level of heat I was feeling on my ram. It was certainly hotter than the heat pipes when the GPU was at 60 degrees.

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
just put on atitool 3d view then monitor your gpu temps. Personally I have 8800 GTX idle at 70c. I don't really care cause I don't lose any performance. Don't worry too much about temps these cards handle high 80s fine.