Sign in with
Your question

Gaming LCD's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2007 12:10:28 PM

Ok, I am currently running round grabbing peripherals for my computer, which I just shipped up from home, atm I have an old free 17" CRT, that a friend gave me for free, but it is slightly defected, and way too bulky.

In any case, I am looking for a good LCD screen for playing games on (and MAY way some movies on), my system is:

P4 2.8 Ghz
7600GS (AGP)
1.25 GB DDR400

I am looking for minimum 19", preferably 22", although I am a bit iffy about playing games on widescreen, always preferred 4X3, is it a disadvantage to have a widescreen?

But yes, basically, what are the recommended LCD screens for gaming? Why is there no review section for displays, such as that of the "best video card for your money artciles"?

Your help would be much appreciate

Thank you :D 

More about : gaming lcd

September 1, 2007 12:30:07 PM

These would be all the ones available to me at my local store from most expensive to least expensive, although if something as outrageously better than any of them I could find it elsewhere:

22%u201D ASUS MW221U
22%u2019 Viewsonic VX2235WN
22%u201D Benq FP222W
22" Acer AL2216WD
22%u201D Proview FP2226AFW
22%u201D Chimei 221D
19%u201D Samsung 932B
20%u201D Benq FP202W-V3
20%u201D Acer X201W
20%u201D Proview LB2006ADW
19" Benq FP92W
19%u201D Chimei 946D
19%u201D Proview FV926

Also, the most computer heavy games I will be playing for the moment is BF2, Dungeon Siege 2, and C&C3, and will probably play Doom3 in the future.
September 4, 2007 12:40:13 PM

I am not too familiar with those monitors you list, but I do want to give you a little information about 22" monitors. They nearly all use TN panels which have less color accuracy than other types of panels used in smaller and larger screens. This doesn't affect gaming much but can make movies/images look worse. Thus, you may want to consider a different size if you will be using the monitor for these types of things. If you plan to only game/scan internet, the 22" should serve you well at a lower price.
Related resources
September 4, 2007 1:59:12 PM

stay away from off brands. You can never go wrong with Viewsonic, samsung...

There are different types of panels for LCD... Make sure you research them before making your purchase.

TFT Technology Breakdown and Model/Panel Index
LCD Panel Technology Type and Characteristics

TN film (Twisted Nematic)
- low manufacturing/retail costs
- restrictive viewing angles
- fast pixel response times
- dead pixels display white. Stuck pixels display RGB colors
- lower contrast levels means blacks are not as dark as VA based panels
- lower color reproduction

IPS (In Plane Switching)
- improved viewing angles over TN
- very good color reproduction
- slower pixel response times than TN
- dead pixels display black
- lower contrast levels means blacks are not as dark as VA based panels

Super-IPS (S-IPS)
- same as IPS except ...
- likely best color reproduction of all TFT
- less expensive to produce than IPS
- improved pixel response

VA (Vertical Alignment) Technologies

MVA (Multidomain Vertical Alignment)
- compromise between TN and IPS technologies
- superior color reproduction over TN but not as good as IPS
- very good viewing angles but less than IPS
- higher contrast than TN or S-IPS means very good blacks
- dead pixels are black
- slower pixel response than TN or IPS
- details can be lost when directly viewing dark areas

Premium-MVA (P-MVA)
- same as MVA except ...
- "overdrive" technology increases pixel response but still slower than TN
- may have slightly degraded color reproduction due to "overdrive" process

PVA (Patterned VA)
- same as MVA except ...
- larger viewing angles
- higher contrast levels means darkest blacks

Super-PVA (S-PVA)
- same as PVA except ...
- %u201CMagic Speed%u201D (the Samsung equivalent to Overdrive) improves pixel response
- slightly improved color reproduction
- slightly improved viewing angles

Purchasing Considerations

TN Gamers
Considered a "gamers" panel due to it's fast pixel response times which reduces trailing images know as "ghosting". However, this advantage has been reduced by new technologies to accelerate pixel response times in other panel types. Colors and contrast tend to be weak depending on brand and blacks are not truly black. Viewing angles are significantly limited. However, monitors based on this technology tend to be inexpensive.

IPS / S-IPS Graphics Work or Web Browsing
Considered to have the best color reproduction of all panel types, these panels are well suited for graphics work or web browsing. Pixel response time is also good but slower than the TN "gamers" panel. Contast and blacks are also less dark than VA panels but viewing angles are excellent.

MVA / P-MVA / PVA / S-PVA Compromise for All-Around Use
These panels are a compromise between the fast pixel response times of the TN panel and the excellent color reproduction of the IPS panels. Contrast and blacks are best of all the panel types. Viewing angles are similar but slightly inferior to IPS.
September 23, 2007 2:07:47 AM

Thanks Marvellous!

I didn't know about all the different panel types. I would mainly like to use this as a gaming screen, although I (MIGHT) watch a few movies on it (We are getting a new TV DVD player Sound system, so more likely won't). However atm my local store doesn't yet sell 24" monitors, but I decided to wait till the end of the year to buy the new screen (as this current computer probably wouldn't want to deal with so many pixels :p ), I'll be buying an entire new compy then.
September 23, 2007 3:19:54 AM

I play a lot of games so I bought a TN panel thinking it would be good for that. That was a mistake, I couldn't stand the low image quality on that thing. Maybe I just got a bad one, it was a hyundi panel anyway. Now I use an s-ips planar.
!