IDE DVD writer and SATA hard drive?????

Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • SATA
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2007 12:24:43 AM

I need some help. I just ordered my new pc and I picked out an IDE DVD writer for it. I just now found out that your supposed to have your DVD drive and your hard drive on the same interface. The hard drive I ordered is a SATA. So, do you think I will run into any problems when installing these drives?

More about : ide dvd writer sata hard drive

December 10, 2007 12:46:36 AM

I have never heard of having your hard drive and DVD writer on the same interface. I have my two DVD writers on one IDE cable and both my hard drives are SATA and I have never ran into problems.

Related resources
a b G Storage
December 10, 2007 4:06:21 AM

You will have no problems with this. If you have a problem, it will be with the SATA drive. Windows can not use SATA drives natively. You will need to either hit f6 and supply the SATA drivers, or map the SATA ports to the IDE ports. (as I understand it, most motherboards ship with this happing in the bios by default, mine did.) There are no problems with the Optical drive on the IDE bus and the harddrive on the SATA bus.
December 10, 2007 4:07:45 AM

This is all I saw.
Quote:
If possible, each drive should sit on its own IDE channel configured as a master drive. If you have two drives on one channel always make the faster drive the master drive.
A SATA HD and a PATA DVD is fine. If you were buying a new DVD why would you buy a PATA one anyway. Sooner or later there won't be any PATA ports on the mobos and you will be stuck with a useless DVD.

If it is in there and I missed it I call BS.
March 2, 2011 9:04:29 PM

4745454b said:
You will have no problems with this. If you have a problem, it will be with the SATA drive. Windows can not use SATA drives natively. You will need to either hit f6 and supply the SATA drivers, or map the SATA ports to the IDE ports. (as I understand it, most motherboards ship with this happing in the bios by default, mine did.) There are no problems with the Optical drive on the IDE bus and the harddrive on the SATA bus.

HI, please help me with this, err....further explain what your talking about with "mapping"

I just got a new mobo, and new hard drive. I'm using my old IDE DVD writer and the new hard drive is SATA III.

anyway, the new mobo has one IDE port, so naturally, i plug in the DVD to that connection on motherboard, and plug up the new hard drive to the SATA port...

upon boot up, it says error on SATA port, slave hard drive, etc.

I hit F1 to ignore :) 

it booted from the IDE, with the windows 7 disk, but i didn't get far because It wouldn't find the new hard drive to install to.

HELP!
What can i do in the BIOS to make this SATA drive Initialize? or be recognized?
I thought maybe it was a bad SATA hard drive., but after reading your post, im wondering if that isn't so.

SETUP:
MSI 890fxa-gd70
1090t X6 AMD
8GB RAm
Western Digital 64mb cashe 640gig SATA hard drive
LITE-ON IDE DVD writer
650 Watt Powersupply
Windows 7 ultimate

a c 415 G Storage
March 2, 2011 9:27:12 PM

snowmanman said:
I need some help. I just ordered my new pc and I picked out an IDE DVD writer for it.
While the other posters are correct in saying that an IDE DVD drive will work perfectly well with a SATA hard drive, if you're buying a brand new machine then I have to wonder why you'd choose to use an IDE DVD in the first place. IDE is an obsolete interface - some motherboards provide an IDE port for people who have old IDE drives they'd like to re-use in their new machine - but many motherboards don't have any IDE ports at all. And if you're buying a new motherboard and a new DVD drive you'd be better off sticking with SATA since it's the current interconnect standard.

Also, if you're buying a new PC then you're probably going to put Windows 7 on it. If that's the case, you won't have to do anything special to make SATA work - Vista and Windows 7 have SATA support built in. The only reason you'd need to do the "load drivers" at install time trick is if you were putting Windows XP onto your new machine.
March 5, 2011 5:30:30 AM

hey can Samsung super writemaster (DVD+RW) sata cable and combo drive CD writer and DVD reader IDE cable together be used on a single pc. my hardware configration is motherboard- Asus P5G4IC-M LX INTEL Chipset Support Rev.676.01 , DDR3 2GB RAM , 500GB sata HDD.........please help as i dont know much about computers.......
!