Worth Upgrading to a Sound Card for 5.1?

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I am currently using the integrated sound on my PC, which is by Sigma Tel Audio, and I have 5.1 Creative speakers. I do play some games on my computer [AoEIII, AA, Flight Simulator and possibly more] and though I do love to game, I am playing on my 360 a lot more these days, so I'd say I'm and intermediate gamer on the PC. I am wondering if there will be a noticeable sound difference considering this card [Creative 5.1] is only $27 it's not gonna be a big set back in money. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102010 So I'm wondering if it's a good idea, or since I'm not using 7.1 surround with the best quality speakers. This is pretty much the last item to upgrade with this PC [not that it's top of the line, but I might as well buy a new PC after this].

If it helps current computer specs are:
P4 3.0GHz dual core
2G RAM
XFX's Nvidia7950GT
PS: 620w Corsair

Thanks in advance!

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I wondering the same thing. I think im gonna go buy that se in a while when my dad gets better. If you wear headphones it will ake all the difference. If by AA you meen America's army i would say it is deffinatly worth it. Back when I used to play AA the differance from a live! and onboard was huge! SO if you play America's Army and wear headphones I would say buy it.

sailer

Splendid

Simple answer, yes, the separate sound card is worth it. It will both off load the cpu so that the frames rates are a bit higher and provide much better sound. If you are planning to use Vista in the future, though, I would get a X-Fi card, as the Audigy series is not supported in Vista. At the same time, $27 is not a big setback, money wise, so if you're going to keep using the present machine for a year or two more, its definately worth it in moy opinion.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

Incorrect. Yes it is:

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?MainCategory=1&nRegionFK=&nCountryFK=&nLanguageFK=&sOSName=Windows+Vista+32-bit&region=1&Product_Name=Audigy+SE&Product_ID=14257&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=26&drivertype=0&x=24&y=14

sailer

Splendid
My Mistake. Thank you for the information. Earlier, Creative had said it would not support Vista in the Audigy series, but I guess they changed their mind.