spec are-
q6600 go stepping -thermalright 120 extreme with S FLEX 120mm fan
P35 Ga DS3P mobo
2 gig of ram
500GB hd
pc power cooling 750 watt psu
ati 1950 pro
TT armour 8000 case

When i press start button it stays for 2 second on then it shut downs automactic and turns it back on for 2 second and shut down again.

I look at cpu fan its not moving, I plug in cpu fan to another connecter the fan works but same thing shutdowns in 2 second. what could be the problem?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
The fan not moving is likely due to a thermal monitor that turns the fan on only when needed.

As for the computer turning off and on.....It's time to do the usuall trouble shooting process. Unplug everything but the bare essentials, and see if it boots. If not, remove the mobo from the case and see if it boots on cardboard.

Mondoman

Splendid

No, he's talking about the CPU cooler fan, which should always be on.

For the OP: One possibility for your problem: some MBs have a safety feature that monitors the speed of the fan plugged into the CPUFAN header and shuts down the system automatically if the RPM detected there is not "fast enough". By default, it is setup for the OEM Intel CPU cooler; some aftermarket coolers with larger diameter fans don't spin as quickly and thus may make this feature think the CPU cooler is not working properly. The feature can normally be adjusted/inactivated in the BIOS, but you may need to connect a faster-turning fan to the CPUFAN header temporarily to "fool" the system.

I had several machines with the same problem:
- some were due to fried mobos, even when right out of their package,
- others were due to failing PSUs.
Eliminate the second by switching PSU; if not, swap the mobo.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
To dragonsprayer: LOL! That's a VERY good thought. I didn't think of that one myself. I know it seems really dumb, but everyone forgets the simple stuff sometimes.

To mondoman: Your post makes logical sense, but at the same time, I have to wonder what crappy company would be THIS limiting? Sell you a MB that protects you from breaking the CPU(like the MB company really cares THAT much about YOUR CPU) and at the same time can screw a customer that bought a tray CPU and aftermarket fan and their MB doesn't work. If I tried swapping out all the other parts I had spares of and realized it was the MB, I'd RMA it. When I got the new motherboard with the same problem, I'd change companies and swear that company X sells really crappy parts. What I would expect is maybe a reboot when the CPU hits the BIOS temperature threshhold or an error message when the computer is POSTing. I just can't imagine a company would be so bad to do that to their customers. Let's not talk about water cooling either.

Joefriday is possibly right that the thermal monitor turns the fan on only when needed, but it could also be a sign of whatever the problem is(bad MB?)

I would try stripping the computer to minimum to POST the machine and see what happens. Also check your 4 or 8 pin power cable and make sure it is connected.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

I'm well aware of what he's talking about. The CPU fan will not always spin on certain mobos. I believe the DS3 is one of them.

mario2008

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
i took out the cpu and heaksink from the mother and click start button it was running fine without restart like normal :pt1cable: what could be the problem?

tdank

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Running without a CPU..........................?

Screw the Intel AMD war......Sounds like theyre both going to be out of business soon.

mario2008

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
i mean to say system doesnt turn after i took out the cpu and heaksink but after reinstalled the cpu and heatsink it keep restarting every 2 second :(

mario2008

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
i unplug the 8x power connecter from the mobo system doesnt restart after that but after pluging the 8x power connecter to the mobo it keep restarting.