Drives aren't displayed in My Computer - HELP

CFree3344

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
So I just installed Windows Vista. I had to install with only my main Hard Drive plugged in otherwise it would not work.

Vista is running great. So now I plugged in my 4 other drives. They are recognized in Device Manager but are NOT displayed in My Computer.

What do I do? Why won't they show up?

Did I do something wrong?

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
>So I just installed Windows Vista. I had to install with only my main >Hard Drive plugged in otherwise it would not >work.
>Vista is running great. So now I plugged in my 4 other drives. They are recognized in Device Manager but are >NOT displayed in My Computer.
>What do I do? Why won't they show up?
>Did I do something wrong?

Yes, you installed Vita: j/k

I'm interested in knowing why you had to disconnect 4 drives to install Vista on another drive.
Please tell us your computer configuration, include everything, model numbers and all.
Were all four drives that you had to remove, formatted and working prior to your change over to vista?
What were the format types?
Include where you are trying to connect the drives on your motherboard. List type of drive and motherboard controller connections.
Are you trying to install the drives in any form of raid configuration?

Lets see what we can do to help you.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Your drives need to be formatted. You can do this by going into control panel, administration tools, computer management, storage, diskmanagement. Right click each drive and mark them as active, and format if necessary.

CFree3344

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks Roadrunner.. Thats exactly what I did. Working fine now... :).

This was my first computer build. Vista is the first OS on the comp. 4 Seagate 320GB drives. 1 WD Raptor.

All drives are now showing.

CFree3344

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Well. After all that. I just tried to set up software RAID with my GA-P35-DS3R and after I had the 4 drives set into a RAID 5 my Windows would no longer boot.

I just turned off the RAID and Vista boots just fine.

Is there a driver that needs to be downloaded? Any help would be great.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I have personally never done raid so I cant offer any professional advice about it. Im assuming you need to load your raid drivers upon installing vista, but I'm not $100% sure. If you have a driver disk you might be able to install them and get it running. Theres also a possibility that the drives have to be hooked up a certain way on the motherboard for raid to work. I have an Asus board and you plug drives in one way for normal setup and a differnt way for raid. See if your manual has anything on raid 5.