BioShock - solution for Intial Load Screen black out

GenericName

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
I ran into this solution on another forum so if you've installed the game then go to play it and the Load Screen goes dark here is what fixed it for me:

Vista 64

Start --> Control Panel --> Programs (The top selection Programs not the sub) --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows Features off/on

When that comes up Turn off --> Tablet PC optional Components (this process can take about 5 minutes then it reboots)

This fixed the problem for me, now the only problem I have is the game runs like crap from bad drivers on my top end system. I was able to play it though

Use at your own risk although its a turn on/off feature so shouldn't be too risky

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I looked at your specs and I would be extremely and I mean extremely pissed off. It's probably the 64 bit causing the problems, although I don't know that for sure. I won't run Vista or play Bioshock, due to the HDCP and DRM respectively. If you find out who to beat I'm there.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I thought the vista 64 bit wasn't too bad on drivers?...
I followed that link and look at the bottom where it is advertising dx10, they are comparing HALO (1) with CRYSIS, I mean WTF!?!?! thats not fair on dx9! they should at least show oblivion

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
If they did that, then they would be forced to admit that the effective difference between DX10 and DX9 is minute at best (at least with the current crop of DX10 games). DX10 does look prettier, but not in the "ZOMG DX10 pwns DX9, its lkie teh best!!!!!1!!!" that people expected it to be (again, so far.........).

But I digress, back on topic, Bioshock has run flawlessly on my Vista 32 Home ED. PC. All it took for me to get past the initial load hiccups, was to DL the latest DX SDK runtime (because Vista's auto update won't do it for you ><) and use the ATI Bioshock Hotfix drivers.

Cheers