Help with Ethernet Controller Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

megas

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hello. I've spent hours trying to solve this but I've given up and chose to ask for help instead.
So I've just installed windows xp 32 bit on my other computer. It installed fine but there are some drivers missing.
Because the ethernet drivers are missing I cannot access the internet so I've been using this computer to find the driver files and pass them to the other computer via a usb stick.
After many tries I finally managed to download the VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter and I checked my device manager and the yellow exclamation mark that was next to it was gone.
But I still cannot connect to the internet. More specifically, I tried running the BT infinity broadband CD that came with the package to connect to the internet but it says I cannot connect to the Hub.
So I went back to the device manager and noticed some more yellow exclamation marks. There was one on "other devices", and when I clicked on that I was one on "Ethernet Controller", "Multimedia Audio Controller" and "RAID Controller". I assume I can't connect to the internet because I'm missing the Ethernet controller. Is this true? Could it be because of this?
EDIT: I'm not sure which hardware information you need but the computer has got an AMD Duron processor, and the system manufacturer is VIA.
I've already tried finding the ethernet controller driver but some of the files i download end up being corrupted when i run them from my usb stick on the other computer. Could somebody find me the correct driver please?

It sounds like you haven't installed the chipset drivers. A disk should have come with your motherboard that has these, otherwise go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and download the drivers.

If this is a retail pc (gateway, dell, acer, hp), then go to their web site and find your model of computer. They will have the necessary drivers for your system.

megas

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

I did have the discs but I threw them out ages ago not knowing what they were >.>
I think the motherboard is an ASUS one, thanks I'll check the website.

megas

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
My mistake, it seems it really is VIA not Asus. Anyway, the motherboard is K7Upgrade-600(socket-a), except that I don't seem to find the correct driver here http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp
I tried one, opened it and there was no .exe file or anything. I get a.dll file, a .inf, .sys, .sld, .cat, another .dll and a .txt document.
When I open the text doc it says:

1.component database manager
a.open component database manager under microsoft windows embedded studio
2.click on the "database", "import", "...".
a.navigate to the directory of this driver component and then choose the .sld file. click on the "import" and then "close" buttons to close the dialog.
3.close the component database manager.

I'm not sure if this is the correct file as I have XP 32 BIT SP3 and there isn't an option for that here http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.